Everything I Like Causes Cancer

Where we've been convinced to write a new post on Dec. 2. Stay tuned!

3/04/2008

Thundersnow

Posted by Gwen |



Oh, snap. There is a blizzard happening outside my windows and it just thundered, twice!


I'm starting to think LM is right, that this crazy weather portends the end of days. This is what she said in a comment to this post about the crazy weather extremes we are having:





I've said it to you many times, but now I'll share w/your bazillion readers: The world is coming to an end, people. The weather extremes we've had since the year started are impossible to ignore. Not to mention the extremes we've experienced in a 24 hour period. This is the THIRD time in the past month or two that we've gone from 70's to 30's or lower in a matter of hours. Oh, and since you wrote this we are now to have closer to 8" of snow. Possibly more! Yeah, It's been nice knowing ya.

I was just reading about thundersnow on wikipedia. According to the article, "March is their peak month of formation, and on average, only three events are reported per year."

And yet, the article goes on to cite six events in February 2008 alone:
  • Towards midnight Denver, Colorado experienced a thundersnow around 9:30 p.m. on February 1, 2008, and a lightning strike during the storm damaged a home in the nearby suburb of Englewood, Colorado.
  • Peoria, IL experienced a thundersnow event on the afternoon of February 3, 2008.
  • Northeast Missouri and Eastern Illinois both experienced a thundersnow event on Super Bowl Sunday, February 3, 2008.
  • Just three days later on February 6, 2008, a heavy snowstorm in West Michigan generated a thundersnow event on Grand Valley State University's Allendale campus. Students described "hearing a HUGE crash, seeing a flash of light outside, lights flickered for a second ... it was the weirdest thing". This snowstorm later arrived in Toronto, Canada, generating multiple thunder and lightning events around 6 pm ET.
  • On February 10, 2008, thundersnow occurred in Akron, Ohio around 12:30 a.m. and lasted for about a half-hour; lightning struck about five times. During the thundersnow, the snow fell in very large clusters of flakes around 3 inches in diameter.
  • On February 11, 2008, thundersnow occurred in Southeast Kansas and Southwest Missouri with sleet, snow, and lightning. Thunder could be heard over a several hour period during the early morning.
Make peace with your deity of choice, people, because it's on.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for quoting me. Just call me Nostradamus. Actually, if the Mayans were correct, the end of the world will be 12/21/2012. Who knows. All I know is that the snow is beautiful! At least if the world is coming to an end, I'm gonna enjoy some nice scenery.

Little Brr said...

Dood... I am so glad I stayed home! I'm thinking LM is right... it's been nice knowin ya. Maybe we can catch up in our next life.

Anonymous said...

Steve Brodzin predicted the demise of our organization would occur in 2012 because our endowment will run out. So, you're basically telling me that I'm going to lose my job AND the world is coming to an end? What a crappy year.

The Lady Who Doesn't Lunch: said...

I live about 20 miles or so from Grand Valley State = I noticed the "thundersnow"

Pretty cool, but a little spooky and it totally freaked out the cat.

Subscribe