Everything I Like Causes Cancer

Where we've been convinced to write a new post on Dec. 2. Stay tuned!

3/06/2010

A Very Special Occasion

Posted by Gwen |

Part of the reason this blog has been woefully neglected since Christmas is that I've been super busy being the best Maid of Honor I know how to be for my best friend, LilBRR. She joined our office six years ago and within six months of knowing her I was a better person. She believed in me when I didn't and gave me courage when I had none. I would not be who I am today (and I'm pretty awesome) without her.


So when she asked me to be her Maid of Honor I was, well . . . honored. Extremely honored. And glad for the opportunity to do as much for her as she's done for me. Or at least to try. The past six weeks have been a whirlwind of Saturday afternoon showers (three, one hosted by moi; it's a BIG wedding), Saturday nights spent with their family and friends, and sundry other get-togethers where we stuffed envelopes and tied bows on favors. It sounds like a lot, and it has been, but it honestly has been a blast. The bride and groom are so cute and happy and excited and appreciative; it's been a joy to be a part of it all.

Plus, I've gotten to be super girly: shopping for shoes, shopping for dresses, shopping for jewelry, tanning (just enough to take the goth off), plucking things, bleaching things, planning mani/pedi days, and, and, and . . .

Speaking of being girly, I decided a couple weeks ago that I wanted to wear a Marcel wave in my hair at the wedding. My dress has a similar cut as the white dress Marilyn wore on the breezy grate and I thought a soft, vintage 'do would do nicely. When I asked my hairdresser if she knew how to do it, she told me that hairdressers in Missouri (maybe everywhere? who knows these things?) have to be able to do a Marcel wave in order to pass their state boards. Sweet.

My style team came over Thursday night for a dry-run and, being back in tune with this here corner of the web, I remembered to document the evening for your voyeuristic pleasure.

Pizza Rolls: fuel for champions, beautifully coiffed champions.

No hairstyling party would be complete without Edward Scissorhands.
(I like what he's done with his image since the movie. Much prettier.)

The dress I'm wearing to the rehearsal dinner is hanging in the doorway.
Size? Juniors Medium. Snap. Thank you, spin class.

Stay gold, Ponyboy. Stay gold.

And this is what it looked like when it was done:



It took me a while to get used to it. It's radically different than anything I've ever done with my hair, but as the evening went on I kept catching glimpses of myself in the mirror and I liked what I saw. ROWR.

I love it and can't wait for next week. Three more work days. Three.

22 comments:

Unknown said...

I love, love, love the hairdo!!!!! You'll have to post photos from the wedding!

Cup said...

Adorable! Gorgeous!! You go, Junior Medium Miss!!!

SkylersDad said...

Why look at you, you spinning hot mama!! I am rather fond of the Pizza Rolls/Elvis sneer myself, I didn't think it was possible to love you more.

Anonymous said...

Holy crap, Gwen- you look fantastic!

Go you, sheyna maidl ;)

Melissa said...

Love the hair! Looking forward to pics of the whole thing. (You are going to post at least one right?)

Juniors medium, I wish!

J.J. in L.A. said...

Too cute! You and the hair!

Whiskeymarie said...

Man, I DO have the cutest blog-wife ever.
Me-ow, pussycat. Me-ow.

WendyB said...

Sex-ay!

words...words...words... said...

People are very lucky to have you in their wedding party, Colonel.

katrocket said...

Oooooh I love it too!!! You look gorgeous and the style really suits you. Have a blast at the wedding! xo

Scope said...

You rock that vintage look like you were born out of era.

Dr Zibbs said...

HA! I love the picture of you with the towel on. Looking kind of nervous.

Son of a Thomas said...

Words fail me. Do you have a date and what time should I pick you up?

The Lady Who Doesn't Lunch: said...

Glam-wow. That looks beautiful. I can't wait to see the completed look all put together.

LegalMist said...

Awesome 'do!

Just perfect for attending the "I do's."

mo.stoneskin said...

I love it that you prioritise our voyeuristic pleasure. That's very kind of you.

Soda and Candy said...

I LOVE that hairdo!!!!! LOVE it.

You could rock it with a fancy dress & faux fur on cocktail nights too! To me it looks kind of 1920s.

rockygrace said...

Oh, that hairstyle is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Work it girl!

Cora said...

GORGEOUS (as always)!!!!

Harna said...

That's adorable! I love that look and I've tried to do it, but I think you need more than two hands to get it right...and more patience.

Alyson said...

I quite like it too.

Pizza rolls!!!

Subscribe