Everything I Like Causes Cancer

Where we've been convinced to write a new post on Dec. 2. Stay tuned!

11/30/2008

It's about to be on.

Posted by Gwen |

4 pm:  The front foyer has been cleared of furniture and cleaned.  The boxes have all been carried up from the basement.  Christmas is about to throw up all over this house.



4:44 pm:  Oh, yeah - this part.  The part where I get the tree up but can't remember the order of the plugs (it's a prelit) so I spend 40 minutes plugging and unplugging them over and over and over until I have to give up for a few minutes and watch a couple scenes of Big Fish while I chill out.


5:40 pm: Close enough. There's one short strand that I can't get figured out so I'm moving on. After a quick bite of the brownies I just made (because the oven is fixed!) I am off to fluff the tree and start trimming.

6:20 pm:  The movie's over and I've eaten two more brownies.  Okay, three.  Anyway, I've fluffed the tree and moved it around 100 times.  I settled on leaving it in the corner, where it goes every year.

6:42 pm:  I started unpacking the ornaments and got distracted by the new ones (something shiny!) that I bought a couple weeks ago in Kimmswick.  I've also started catching up on episodes of No Reservations.


7:18 pm:  I broke one.  And apparently trimming the tree makes you people amorous.  Good to know.  1 row of brownies gone.


7:59 pm: Still trimming. Getting close. Bourdain is in New York. Last update he was in Saudi Arabia.  Realized I ate brownies for dinner and now I want broccoli.

9:18 pm: It's on like Donkey Kong.

How long did that take?  You know, if you took out all the piddling I did in the process?  Although once I started the actual trimming, I worked nonstop, calculating the placement of every ornament as if a large cash prize was involved but sadly one wasn't.

This elf is one of my favorite ornaments. My grandma always had these guys on her tree but hers got so old they finally fell apart. I found this little guy sitting on a shelf all by himself in an antique shop.

An no tree would be complete without a sock monkey.

I still have a bunch of other stuff to put around the house but that's all I've got in me for today. I'm going to go eat something with salt in it to try to forget all the brownies.  And then maybe eat some more brownies.

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Right behind you. Lin wants to get up the tree and decorations tonight...as if Thanksgiving weekend weren't enough...sigh.

McGone said...

Not the Tim Burton movie I would expect for Christmas, but a good one all the same.

Moe Wanchuk said...

D is the bottom plug...I just did it!

Any chance I could send you my daughter as a Xmas present????

Anonymous said...

Christmas decorations!!! Squeeeee!!! We put ours all up today too. I'm finally starting to get in the spirit!!

Anonymous said...

No colored lights??? Awh.

Dr Zibbs said...

I'm ona feel you up in that front foyer some day.

Dr Zibbs said...

I'm ona feel you up in that front foyer some day.

K and/or K said...

I like the pickle.

Sass said...

I just read Zibbs' comment, and i just wanna say...I'll get a chance before he does.

ONE WEEK BEFORE THE FLYING MONKEYS LAND!!!!!!!

paperback reader said...

My plan of closing my eyes and imagining Christmas decorations instead of putting my own up is greatly aided by these pictures. Plus, when you realize your place is too small for a tree and you, that's not much of a Christmas.

~E said...

If I send you my address can I get a plate of brownies for christmas?

LegalMist said...

ooh, I have a sock monkey *just like* that one! Except mine is still packed away in a box with all the other ornaments. Maybe next weekend he'll get to come out and play...

Bella@That damn expat said...

I want that elf!

Unknown said...

Ugh, I can't stand decorating X-mas trees. If I ever have kids, I'm going to pull a Costanza, and just use a metal pole.

My kids will love me.

Candy's daily Dandy said...

The tree looks amazing. But I can't get over the fabulous stained glass windows! I LOVE stained glass windows, it gives a home warmth and character. Your's are wonderful!
Nice work on the tree. I bet you are so glad that task is over.As for the elf-I have a bunch also. My mom gave them to me-she had five to represent her five kids. I got them because no one else wanted them. Now when my brothers or sisters see them on my tree they want them. I tell them, you snooze you loose suckas!

Anonymous said...

You all think the tree looks pretty in the pictures...you should see it in person!!! You might want to lay off the chips and brownies though! Love Brian

LYDIA said...

I love the little elf - he looks old school. I stole all of my Christmas decor from my MIL, it's straight out of the 70's. Maybe even 60's. I am going to post my favorite ornaments too - as soon as I freaking put them on the tree.

Your tree looks great! Nice stained glass windows!

RW said...

love those little windows. If you tell me you are living in an arts and crafts bungalow you realize I shall have to never speak to you again right?

robkroese said...

The sock monkey teaches us the true meaning of Christmas.

Renaissance Woman said...

I knew there was something missing in my tree decorating process...brownies! I have a tree up, lights working, semi decorated and trying to get the energy to finish tonight. Tis the season!

Miss Alex said...

Wow Very nice

Mel O said...

Your tree looks beautimous!! :D I can't wait to feel you up in your foyer... oh!... I mean... uh...

:)

Unknown said...

woohoo....goood job, it looks great!

H said...

Ok now that your done at your house will you come over and plug in my fiber optic tree?

Hey Zibbs - so nice you had to say it twice?!? ;-P

The Lady Who Doesn't Lunch: said...

This post have given me a serious hankerin' to put up a tree and I'm not ready for the tree yet. We always cut down a real tree and I'm afraid it will dry up and burst into flames if I put it up too early.

I adore your little elf ornament.

The Lady Who Doesn't Lunch: said...

I know when to use "have" and "has" - I really do. Lordy I hate typos.

Anonymous said...

Nice tree, Gwen. I stopped putting ours up 'cos there's not enough room in the Living Room and I was the only one doing it.

And we have a few of those elves too.

Subscribe