Everything I Like Causes Cancer

Where we've been convinced to write a new post on Dec. 2. Stay tuned!

WOUNDED DEER ATTACKS HUNTER WHO SHOT HIM

ASSOCIATED PRESS
12/01/2008


SEDALIA, Mo. --- A Sedalia hunter bagged a big buck on the second day of firearms season, but the kill caused him a lot of pain. Forty-nine-year-old Randy Goodman said he thought two well-placed shots with his .270-caliber rifle had killed the buck on Nov. 19. Goodman said the deer looked dead to him, but seconds later the nine-point, 240-pound animal came to life.

The buck rose up, knocked Goodman down and attacked him with his antlers in what the veteran hunter called "15 seconds of hell." The deer ran a short distance and went down, and died after Goodman fired two more shots. Soon Goodman started feeling dizzy and noticed his vest was soaked in blood. So he reached his truck and drove to a hospital, where he received seven staples in his scalp and was treated for a slight concussion and bruises.

Stories like this crack me up. I am neither for nor against hunting. I grew up on a farm – my parents killed a lot of things and we ate them. My step-dad hunted and fished for whatever was in season. He even saved all of his vacation time during the year and took off from November to January in order to trap full-time. The money he made from the furs he trapped was essential to us. That said, I have never been able to kill anything. Hell, I can barely kill bugs.

So yes, stories like this crack me up. While I wish Mr. Goodman no serious harm, I love that the deer put up a good fight and got in some licks. It's supposed to be a "sport", right?

22 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm with you - good for the deer.

Unknown said...

Also - why is your email address so damn weird and long?

That's all.

Faithfully Yours Unless You Do Something Dumb,
Chris

Dr Zibbs said...

Your stepdad trapped? Would he live in a tent? Seriously, where would he trap and what was he trapping?

Amanda said...

Good for the deer! He SHOULD have to work for it!

Tricia said...

My husband says if you want to call it a sport give the deer a gun too! :)

Sass said...

I read this headline too. Just the headline.

;)

Moderator said...

If only they had thumbs.

Bella@That damn expat said...

These stories crack me up too. The way I see it is if you are out there with a gun, all bets are off.
That's probably Cheney's defense too.

McGone said...

I love when life imitates art... in this case the "art" being "Tommy Boy."

paperback reader said...

I can't follow McGone's comment with anything better than a Tommy Boy reference. The only hope would be to go highbrow, and I am too tired to figure out how to turn "My Dinner With Andre" into a deer reference.

Anonymous said...

If any of you listen to Bob & Tom in the mornings, usually on wednesday's they have comedian Tim Bedore, whose thing is The Animal Conspiracy.

Something like this is right up his alley, where animals do something to homes, cars, whatever it is that's not good for people.

SouthernBelle said...

Team Deer all the way!

Hunting is so unnecessary.

I have no respect for it, unless you're gonna eat the meat, and even then...

Unknown said...

yes, it is more of a sport when the animal gets involved. TOUCHEE is what I imagine that deer saying...take that mr hunter.

Elizabeth said...

I think this may be the first instance I've ever read about hunting being legitimate "sport," where both the hunter AND the hunted know they're playing.

Anonymous said...

Four shots?!? Either that guy had lousy aim or that buck was Rambo's first cousin!!

Falwless said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Go deer!

Fuck that's awesome...

H said...

Gwen (or should I call you Half-Pint?) - I love it when animals get in a couple of punches. I would like to see hunting turn to hand-to-hoof combat. Then we would see if it was a fair fight.

Anonymous said...

That was so funny I snorted.

"THAT's gonna leave a mark!!"

(McGone started it) lol

Candy's daily Dandy said...

Oooh poor deer! Ha!
Also the Lovey comment on Zibsy's post this morning made me laugh so hard! Yup, tea thru the nostrils and everything.

Renaissance Woman said...

I love that story. And your right...it's suppose to be a sport. So Far Side!!!

Alice said...

Serves the Guy right, even though my husband is an avid hunter... I hate it

~E said...

Yeah I'm with you on the not being able to kill anything. I can dissect dead things to within an inch of its life (yes that includes humans) but actually kill something...not so much.

Oh by the way (looking around) I see that your blog has a nasty case of dandruff...there's this stuff you can use. Clears it right up! :)

Subscribe