Everything I Like Causes Cancer

Where we've been convinced to write a new post on Dec. 2. Stay tuned!

I wrote the latter half of this post last night from a dark place.  I posted it and left it up for about an hour when I realized you didn't need me pissing my sad all over your holiday so I took it down.  I've been putting on a happy face the past few weeks in an effort to hide my heart, broken by not spending the holidays with my family this year.  I had a wonderful volunteering opportunity lined up for this morning, and while excited about it, I was still doing it alone.

Until yesterday, when my wonderful, wonderful friend H emailed and said she wanted to go with me.  She and I delivered Christmas dinners to the elderly this morning and had a ball.  After that we had brunch at the only local diner we could find that was open and are now baking cookies to take to her nieces and nephews tonight.  I never expected this Christmas to be as grand as it has become.  She won't take credit for her kindness, saying she'd just be at home until later today anyway, but she is here for me and turning my frown upside down.  I love her and you should, too.

And because you now know I'm okay, here's a taste of me being a Bitter Betty:

It's 6:52 on Christmas Eve and you know what?  I'm done.  I have the Christmas spirit in my heart all year long and I'm tired of pretending it's all so fucking special because it's cold and we have nothing better to do.

So here:  one of my favorite bands in the world is Dread Zeppelin, join me in enjoying the most perfect blend of reggae, Elvis and Led Zeppelin I've ever heard.  As if I've ever heard anyone else do it.  Whatever.  It's good.  Watch it.  I know you're only here because you're escaping your family.  I love you enough that I picked a long one.  Consider it your gift.  Merry fucking Christmas, monkeys.

<

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love Dread Zeppelin. Sorry you felt so bad yesterday. I saw you had posted and figured you removed it when it wouldn't open. Glad H was able to give you a good dose of cheer. Hope your day is better.

SouthernBelle said...

Christmas hugs Gwen. I'm glad you have such a good friend, I wish I had a friend like that!

mike said...

I liked the miserable post better. I am GLAD you ended up having a fun day, but sometimes Christmas SUCKS. I stayed home all day today, because nothing was open. Not even Dunkin Donuts. (what...Santa doesnt like coffee?) And I didn't want to go visit family so I could watch the Celtics game in peace and they lost. Bring on New Years already...

Candy's daily Dandy said...

I'm so glad you two found each other. You see, Christmas angels walk aroud the earth disguised as great people! The joy I know you brought to the elderly must have been well worth it.

paperback reader said...

Aw, baby, you can piss all over my holidays any day. And I'm not even into that scene.

I'm glad it ended better than it started.

Renaissance Woman said...

I'm so glad that you are doing better and that you have such a great friend as H. Everybody needs to have that friend in their corner. I'm sorry you are not with your family. Merry Christmas sweet friend.

Fancy Schmancy said...

Sweetheart, so sorry you were feeling badly on Christmas Eve. I'm going to read one more post, and if it doesn't get better I'm going to have to drive out there and kidnap you for the New Year. I adore you, in all the inappropriate, creepy, stalker ways that you like.

LOVE,

Fancy

Subscribe