Southern Belle tagged me this morning to post ten honest things about myself. Considering the amount of sarcasm, hyperbole and tongue-in-cheek humor employed in the making of this blog, stark honesty may give me the hives, but here we go . . .
- I worry. A lot. About everything. I worry about money and love and work and my health and sanity. I worry about whether or not I said the right thing, or if I did the right thing, or if I could have done it better. Most times I can tune out the buzzing in my head, but when I am tired or hurt it takes over. The bees have been loud lately and I hope this upcoming week of vacation will make them quiet.
- My baby cat, Skylar, is my favorite. I've had Max longer and he's an awesome cat, well-behaved and genteel, but the baby lets me love and hug on him. He follows me everywhere I go and cries if he can't be close to me. He's my shadow and my favorite. Sorry, Max.
- Following Belle's lead with this one, my Internet friendships mean a lot to me. I lead a very rich social life, attending a dizzying number of concerts and parties and dinners with friends, and yet you've all touched me in a way that has made you just as much a part of my daily life as my IRL friends. I go about my day seeing things like skulls, skull-topped walking sticks, pigs, monkeys, toilets - hell, my own garage even - and I think of you and giggle. My IRL conversations are peppered with stories like, "Oh yeah! Poobomber gave me a pair of Dr. Zibbs' used underwear for Christmas! Hahahaha!" And they know what I am talking about and laugh with me because they know why it's so funny. You're a part of me now and I like it.
- As I write this I am eating what's left of the slinger I had on Christmas morning. While H and I were at the diner yesterday I got a text from a Jewish friend that read, "I made a birthday cake for Jesus, but I couldn't fit that many candles on! Happy X-mas!" While we were laughing about it we decided we were eating our slingers for the "8 pounds 6 ounces new born infant Jesus who don't even know a word yet" and that it might need to be part of the new tradition.
- Reheated slinger sits in your belly like lead.
- I sometimes wonder if my marriage could have been saved if I had known then what I know now.
- Ten is a lot of things.
- I don't typically brush my teeth before bed. I have a hard time falling asleep - see bees reference in #1 above. I have to keep myself busy until I am exhausted (which is why many of my posts are published between 10 and 11 pm) and then immediately lay down in order to fall asleep. Being single there's little chance of a good make-out session before bed and I inherited amazing teeth from my grandpa - didn't get my first cavity until I was 35 and have only had a couple - so I skip it in favor of rest.
- I used to be super high-strung about being neat and tidy, and there are some who would insist I still am, but as I've gotten older I've stopped putting so much pressure on myself. As I sit here my dining room table remains covered by cookie-making supplies for cookies I didn't find the time to make this year. I really hope it gets put away before I go back to work on January 5th but if it doesn't? I'm not sure I care. Unless someone comes over, and then I'll Monica Geller the entire house and make a batch of cookies.
- I'm excited for 2009. This past year wasn't horrible but it wasn't stupendous either. I'm ready for stupendous, Universe. Please deliver.
I'm not tagging anyone because I'm not even sure there are seven people on the Internet this week but if you want to do it, be my guest. Leave a link in the comments if you do.