Everything I Like Causes Cancer

Where we've been convinced to write a new post on Dec. 2. Stay tuned!

On a scale of one to grrrrrrrrrrr, today was grrrrrrrrrrr.  I can't say if the people I encountered were as stupid as I perceived them to be, but I still wanted to verbally assault them all, one by one, slowly, with surgical precision.


Unfortunately for the outsourced customer service rep at Blockbuster, I discovered mid-day that the terms and conditions of my account had been changed without my knowledge and that the changes effectively nullify my favorite feature of their service.  I was calm and direct with my complaint and I never raised my voice, but my wrath was palpable.  It was a long, frustrating conversation that I finally ended by asking, "So you're telling me that  because a portion of your customer base is too stupid to understand that the movies they get in the little boxes have a limited rental period, you've changed your entire on-line rental system, to the detriment of those of us who understand how renting movies works?"  Her response?  "Yes."

Sigh.

I ended up with two free weeks and two rentals but I was just in the mood to seethe, so I did, about everything.  If I still feel like this tomorrow I'll attack call Netflix to see what they can do for me.  And I'll call the damn post office to find out why my package from katrocket has been in their possession since April 1st but has yet to make its way to my house, right down the street.  Don't they know I'm dying to see what it is since I had to measure my waist before I could get it?  Oh yeah, I am so calling them tomorrow.

Speaking of classic rants, do you remember Julia Sugarbaker from Designing Women?  My God, she had the best speeches.  I'm pretty sure I skipped classes in college to study at the feet of the real master.  Had I remembered her before I called Blockbuster, I'd have gotten exactly what I wanted.  You should start feeling bad for the letter carrier who on Friday promised she'd deliver my package on Saturday.


Pay close attention - J. Peterman is on the jury.

24 comments:

Happy Hour...Somewhere said...

Oh. My. God. Thank you for that clip. I had totally forgotten about her rants~! Yes, it was a grrrrr today for me, too, and I wish Julia Sugarbaker had been there to give the office manager a cheeseball in the kisser!

SkylersDad said...

She was a classic, and I think that show was under appreciated.

Char said...

I love Julia Sugarbaker. She could tell you off in that southern accent and make you like it! Thanks.

Scope said...

Just sit back, relax, but on your iPod, oh, wait... :-)

Julia@SometimesLucid said...

I LOVED Julia Sugarbaker and Designing Woman. I should really TIVO some re-runs. Very empowering to women,

words...words...words... said...

As a former Blockbuster manager, I can tell you that pretty much everything they do is based on assuming everyone is stupid. Actually, I think that's true of most of corporate America. Smart people get the shaft again.

I feel you, G.

mo.stoneskin said...

So what you're really trying to say is that you forgot to take some rentals back to Blockbuster?

katrocket said...

Yeah - what's with your post office? I mean, you already know that Canada Post was a real bitch for a couple of weeks - maybe the USPS is just trying to one-up them?

Give 'em hell and paradise will be yours.

Scope said...

That was supposed to be "Just sit back, relax, PUT on your iPod, oh, wait... :-)"

And can't you go to the P.O. and give them the secret hand shake, and actually get service? Or at least hit them with a self rightious "Don't you know who I AM?!?!"

Dr Zibbs said...

I bet that Blockbuster cashier called the president of Blockbuster and they've changed their policy.

Dr Zibbs said...

Yeah. You'll see.

Sass said...

I don't know, Gwen...

I'd be willing to bet you could out-rant Julia Sugarbaker, given the proper motivation.

And yes, that IS a compliment.

Amanda said...

I LOVED Designing Women!

I don't want to know what Blockbuster has done. I pay them my $21 worship fee once per month to keep my son in video games. Am I going to have to conjure my inner Julia Sugerbaker?

Soda and Candy said...

Ooh, I was in full rage mode last night too, but mine was just Woman Times.

Anonymous said...

First, switch to Netflix. You get your movies faster. Second, if your package from the post office contains anything edible, send half to me.

Amen.

Whiskeymarie said...

I have been forbidden from dealing with any sort of "customer service" situations as my last one ended in me calling the rep an "incompetent retard". I'm pretty sure my picture is up on breakroom wall now because of this.

Cora said...

Go Julia!! I don't remember that one.

As for the post office, who the hell knows? As an ebay seller I can tell you the postal service is MORONIC. They will let boxes sit for days at a time. They will ship things the lonnnggggest route possible. It's utterly frustrating. Grrrr. Oh, see, now I'm growling too.

Soda and Candy said...

Oh yeah and joining in on the UPS hate?

I used to work for a business that sent something 3rd class mail, and our distribution guy said that if things didn't get delivered and he went to complain to the post office, they looked him dead in the eye and said "It's third class mail." Like, we'll deliver it if we feel like it, a-hole.

Unknown said...

hope today is better!

LegalMist said...

If you let yourself get too upset by stupidity in this country, you'll be upset 24/7... which, for us, could be good, 'cause you'll keep us laughing!

Jennifer and Sandi said...

I'd picket both places!!!

Happy Tuesday!

- Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Netflix is better than Blockbuster, any day.. any time.

Ok, ok, I don't want your wrath on me. Point is, those bastards should have at least let you know what was up.

Hope tomorrow, er today, is better for you.

Candy's daily Dandy said...

Oh Julia, sister you rock!
Yeah, step off Grandma!!

Lets just hope that is NOT us in a few weeks....

Fancy Schmancy said...

I love Designing Women, but can't watch that at work, will try to catch it later. Um. p.s. Don't you work for the Post Office? Do they NOT know what you could do to them?

Subscribe