Everything I Like Causes Cancer

Where we've been convinced to write a new post on Dec. 2. Stay tuned!

6/21/2009

Sunday Matinee: Father's Day

Posted by Gwen |


Two things about this wonderfully cheesy and well-worn old song:

1. Today it's for all the Dads out there, doing their dad thing and being responsible and taking care of their families the best way they know how. You're very important dudes and we all appreciate you.

2. Every time my college BFF and I would go to our favorite dive bar we'd play this on the jukebox and sing along, loud and off-key. Drove everyone around us crazy. And everytine it would get to the part where he sings about the car keys one of us would hand our car keys to the other. Every time. We still do it when we see each other and laugh like madmen.

6 comments:

J.J. in L.A. said...

I was tempted to use this song in today's post about my dad, but thought better of it. Cheesy isn't what I was going for. lol!

Handing your keys over to each other is a cute though.

Cowguy said...

Okay, that was sappy and sweet... I can't believe it's been that long ago since that song came out.

Along those same lines, one of the local redneck farmer watering holes here used to have this song... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK6QJP4khPM ... on the jukebox and without fail when it was played about 15 to 20 half drunk men sang the chorus. It was very surreal and guaranteed to make beer come out of your nose the first time you witnessed it.

SkylersDad said...

You know what? I just love Harry Chapin. The fact that this is probably his best known song is a travesty, and only because most of his music was too long to get on the air.

Fancy Schmancy said...

Who else can I tell but you? I bought my dad a card, and then forgot to send it to him. But I made sure to call him on Father's Day, and he didn't take my call or call me back. He must have been really busy or something.

PerplxinTexan♥ said...

Songs like this make me want to disco semi-naked.

Harry Chaplain and Hall & Oats

Cora said...

This song used to make me cry when I was a kid. Bizarrely, my parents used to play it in the car all the time and then have the nerve to bitch about my bawling everytime we went anywhere. Duh.

Subscribe