Everything I Like Causes Cancer

Where we've been convinced to write a new post on Dec. 2. Stay tuned!

FRIDAY:
Clothes-swapping, back-yard sitting, antiquing and lunch with ttmac (l) and Peabody (r) at Frazer's Good Eats.

A view of the brewery from our table.

FRIDAY NIGHT:

Potato chips and a hot fudge sundae for dinner and a Weeds marathon.
I love being a grown-up.

SATURDAY:

A trip to the Farmer's Market where I tripped. As I was leaving, carrying $40 worth of produce on my back in a canvas bag and four containers of annuals with my fingertips, I tripped on the sidewalk. I never actually bit the dust, thank the Lord, but at one point my face was perpendicular with, and only a foot from, the ground. My mind was filled with visions of huge, oozy scabs on my face. Terrifying.

After gathering the items that went flying while I wind-milled my way to equilibrium, I curtsied to all who had witnesssed my demonstration in (a lack of) grace. My biggest fan, an older and flamboyant Italian man wearing a jaunty fedora, approached me after and announced, loudly, "Beeeeeyoooteeful flowers, lady! Beeeeeeeyooootiful, just like you!" The whole episode was surreal and hilarious. I just wish you'd been there to see it.

SATURDAY NIGHT:

Bar-b-que at Beth and George's, complete with bison burgers and gross frogs. Shortly after this was taken this weirdo jumped onto my foot, effectively scaring the shit out of me.

I learned nothing from this safety demonstration as I later burned my neck holding a sparkler above my head pretending to be the Statue of Liberty.

And here's a carnival that I saw from across the street as we walked by on our way to ground-zero of the fireworks. It smelled like funnel-cake and carny.

SUNDAY
(Olympic-sized cooking day):

*Farm-fresh, thick-sliced bacon and a sliced tomato for breakfast
*Grilled chicken breast with lime juice and avocado for lunch
*And prepped ahead for whatever today has in store for them: potato salad, six roasted garlic heads and blanched beans

I'm leaning toward lightly sauteing these in a little bit of the fat left over from the bacon. And yes, bacon crumbles will be applied, just like the potato salad above. (I loosely follow the Hellmann's Original recipe, except I don't measure and I substitute onion powder. I have a texture issue with onions. Peppers and celery, too, for that matter. Shudder.)

And so far I've spent today in my robe, drinking coffee, checking out cragslist and messing around with this post. Peabody just called; seems she needed the day off, too, so we're going to have a light lunch - grilled chicken Caesar salad, sliced tomatoes, garlic bread - in my garden and then run errands together in the convertible. Life is good. Wish you were here.

16 comments:

Cowguy said...

I'd have given 37 bucks for a helmet like that on Friday night... not for protection but for the maniacal industrial stalker killer I could have portrayed during a ghost hunt.

Looks like a great holiday weekend Gwen!

SkylersDad said...

You had me at bacon, everything you cook looks so great!

Whiskeymarie said...

I wish I was there too. Give Peabody a little pat on her bum from me.

MJenks said...

I think that's a toad.

It would have been hilarious if the Italian guy appeared later and proclaimed "Bee-you-tee-full toad, lady! Bee-you-tee-full toad for a bee-you-tee-full lady!"

In fact, that's how I'm going to pretend it happened now.

mo.stoneskin said...

"an older and flamboyant Italian man wearing a jaunty fedora"

those guys are everywhere these days, a sign of the times (sadly)

-R- said...

I wish I were there too. Except you can keep the frog/toad.

words...words...words... said...

It appears the theme of the weekend was good food and almost getting seriously injured. I'm glad there was much more of the former than the latter :)

Christopher Jones said...

You should have kicked the frog in his neck. You know, just to see if you could literally burst his bubble.

Cora said...

Awww. I'm jealous. My weekend consisted of me getting stuff together for a garage sale and running around my house and backyard with a Qwest internet tech support dude trying to figure out why my computer is running soooooooo sllllooooooowwwwwww. Grrr. Wish I'd had your weekend instead. And nice job windmilling yourself from kissing the sidewalk ~ I bet that was quite a show!! ;-)

J.J. in L.A. said...

"I have a texture issue with onions."

Thank you!!! No one else understands. *sigh* That potato salad looks yummy!

Soda and Candy said...

Girl, how did you injure yourself with a SPARKLER?

I'm like, Miss Accident-Prone, and I've never done that! I do however have Mystery Bruises on the underside of my arm. What the hell?

katrocket said...

Sparklers are a cruel mistress. Always respect the awesome power of the sparkler.

Renaissance Woman said...

I went to a couple of farmers markets this weekend as well...love this time of year! And more than anything...I would have loved to see you trip. I know that is mean, don't want you to get hurt...but I love to watch people fall down (even if that person is me). So funny! Gross frog but such a cool picture.

Organic Meatbag said...

Wow, great frog action shot there...hahaha! He's a'looking for a mate!

hello haha narf said...

i am all about late to this post, but i still wish i were there.

also? i love frogs and toads. if i were there i would totally protect you from them. or them from you.

Kukusiki said...

I liked the potato salad from here - https://cafemaximplaza.com/hellmans-mayo-potato-salad-recipe/

Subscribe