Everything I Like Causes Cancer

Where we've been convinced to write a new post on Dec. 2. Stay tuned!

A couple Saturdays ago I left the house after lunch, headed for Lowe's with little more than a vague notion of how to build an indoor greenhouse. All I knew was that I was going to use the old dining room table, that I wanted to hang lights from the cross beams in the basement and that I wanted the lights to hang on chains so I could raise them as the plants grew. Being acutely aware of my (lack of) construction experience, I made sure to dress cute and fix my hair and makeup in case I had to ask for help. I really shouldn't have bothered; it would seem I'm as smart as I am cute. See for yourselves.


I took these items (discovered while shopping) and a handful of power tools . . .

. . . and made these:


I had to measure things . . .


I had to drill things . . .


I screwed things . . .


I mounted things . . .


And then I screwed things on the ceiling . . .


And then it was time to lay down some serious seed:

In all I planted about 800 seeds in over 200 peat pots that had to be rehydrated, opened, aerated and planted by hand - by tiny, tiny hand . . .

Let me tell ya, monkeys, this was TEDIOUS work and took hours (the construction part was much more fun). I spent so much time in the basement that day, I felt like a C.H.U.D. when I finally emerged (after dark). In the end, I'm glad I spent the time to plant in these pots because the seedlings can go straight into the ground without having to be repotted. Besides, the backache was forgotten when I woke up the other day to this:

Baby zinnias!

14 comments:

Chemgeek said...

My God! How old is your drill?

and

This is a good idea. I am going to measure, drill, screw, mount, and screw tonight... with my wife!!! he he he.

McGone said...

I'm in a hurry so I just scanned the pictures, but I wanted to say congratulations on your first hydroponic pot farm!

settlesjeri@comcast.net said...

Personally, I like the screwing part the best...tee hee! You GO girl! I have little greenhouses in my living room window that I made out of Subway party platter containers grabbed from staff luncheons at work over the years. The little peat pots go in the black bottoms, the seed start mix goes in next, then the seeds and a little more starter mix and some water. Snap on the big plastic lids and I had seedlings in less than two days! I did the same thing outside, but those seedlings haven't liked the cold nights, so I'm bringing them indoors today for awhile to see if that helps....lol What fun! Looking forward to seeing you this summer at Biloz place in Wondertucky, girlfriend! Peace, Jeri

SkylersDad said...

Nice work there "Gwen the toolman Taylor"!!

Unknown said...

Great job!

Some Guy said...

I was thinking the same thing as Chemgeek - that is one old-school drill you have!

Scope said...

Be careful of "the man" using infrared scopes (he's a cousin) to raid your little basement greenhouse looking for an "herb garden."

Elliott said...

Woo! Sprouts! That's one of my favorite things about starting the garden.

Renaissance Woman said...

Gwen...I am so impressed! The construction was great but to actually take the time to plant all of those seeds pushes you to the "amazing" category. Now that you have done it once repeating in my basement should take half the time. Come on in...the door is open.

words...words...words... said...

I've never been so turned on by gardening!

Seriously though, that's amazing. You are talented :)

Whiskeymarie said...

I can't wait to poop on your new plants!

Juz said...

Well done you.
It's always good to measure things before you start.

Unknown said...

awesome!

Cora said...

Ooooooh! I love the electric drill!

Every wall-mounted shelf in my house has been put there by ME and whatever electric drill I can borrow from whomever (I'm not picky) and, I dunno, there's just something invigorating about plunging that mighty, revving drill right into the wall and getting showered in plaster dust.

And then I get to step back in all my ghostly white plaster-covered pride and admire my manly work.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Heaven.

Subscribe