Everything I Like Causes Cancer

Where we've been convinced to write a new post on Dec. 2. Stay tuned!

I'm pretty sure I did, and I know I heard my Dad ask for one, so here ya go . . .

On Sunday I did something I've been threatening to do for years. I was all set to do it last year until I threw out my back cleaning leaves and rediscovered fear.

So, you see that darker patch to the left of the green tub? That's where I started stripping off zoysia sod. By hand. I used a shovel to cut both sides of a foot-wide swath and then pulled it off in strips. By hand. Did I mention I did this BY HAND?

Now I know I could have rented a tiller and possibly more easily turned this patch over, but zoysia is a lawn commodity around here and it would have killed me to just grind it up. (I put it on freecycle. Paying it forward, baby.)

Anyway, 3,765 trips to the alley (where I left the corpse-heavy strips for pick-up) and four hours later, it looked like this:

To say there was dirt in all the creases when I finished is to seriously understate things. I was a sweaty, filthy mess.

I even had to use a mushroom brush to get my arms clean.

Sexy!

For some time I've mulled the idea of posting a semi-regular picture of the back yard to show how it progresses through the seasons and this seemed like an appropriate place to start:

Spring: An Overview

And after that I made a delicious Easter dinner for friends. I'm beginning to question my own sanity. Keep an eye on me for erratic behavior, like blogging and lounging.

14 comments:

Scope said...

I am looking forward to seeing more pictures, and looking forward to seeing it IRL more!

mo.stoneskin said...

I hope you washed your hands before making that Easter dinner. And I hope an unsuspecting friend didn't digest a mushroom brush.

Anonymous said...

Love it, I am sure when you get it planted and mulched it will be beautiful!
Erin

SkylersDad said...

I love me a dirty women, or a women with dirt on her, whatevs...

Whiskeymarie said...

Where are you planting the dingleberry bushes? I heard they're delicious...

Fancy Schmancy said...

I have no idea what a "mushroom brush" is, but I have the feeling that you could charge money to post pictures of you rubbing it all over your body. Just saying.

Cora said...

I'm boiling with jealousy right now. You have a garden. And its plants are actually ALIVE.

The only plant I can't seem to murder is a cactus.

Damn you.

Unknown said...

ooohhh very nice I can't wait to watch it's progression!

pegnandy said...

Do you hire out for gardening work?

Soda and Candy said...

Your garden is pretty, it has great potential too! But what the eff is a mushroom brush?

words...words...words... said...

You have a backyard, and a pretty one at that. I live in the wrong city.

Dr Zibbs said...

Please come do my yard. I'm dreading the initial clean up which will be this weekend.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Farmer Gwen. It's so lovely! Well done! I can't wait to see your progress and hear more of the travails of dirt and sod.

--GloriB.

Elliott said...

great borderline, and I'm so glad you pulled up the sod so someone else could use it. Being in the lawn-impaired state of Florida, I would never take real grass for granted.

Subscribe