Everything I Like Causes Cancer

Where we've been convinced to write a new post on Dec. 2. Stay tuned!

Stroll around the Internets these days and you can't help but trip over NaBloPoMo tags, discussions, and (already?!?) complaints. For those of you who spend your free time outside, NaBloPoMo stands for National Blog Posting Month. By joining the NaBloPoMo challenge, bloggers agree to post once a day every day in November. I joined said challenge.

But I didn't feel challenged by it. I already, on average, post more than once a day. And it would be easy to stockpile for slow days.* Where's the challenge in that? More than that, it feels like cheating.

So, I decided that I had to come up with a way to make the posts more challenging to write. After much deliberation, clamoring for a muse, and navel gazing, I found it: November's posts will have song lyrics for titles. And the lyrics will relate to the content of the post.

Now, I've hatched, and even executed, some outlandish plans in my day, but I really did give some serious thought to this one. I'm mostly daunted by the pace at which I am going to have to concoct these things. But, no matter. I'm dedicated to the idea. I've even devised a plan for holding my own feet to the fire: a weekly contest tied to the song lyric post titles. This will likely end up being the sole driving force behind my personal NaBloPoMo. (I like talking about it like it's a quest. A vision quest.)

Here's how it's going to work:

  1. The contest weeks will run from Sunday at 12:01 am to Saturday at 11:59 pm.
  2. Since the first week of November only has three days in it, the contest will start Sunday, November 4.
  3. The last week of the contest will include Saturday, December 1.
  4. The title of one post per day from November 4 - December 1 will be a song lyric.
  5. The song lyric will relate to the content of the post.
  6. I may post more than once a day so the official contest post will have the words "Contest Post" in the title, but they will be well set-off from the clue.
  7. To enter the contest, leave your answer - the name of the song that includes the lyric post title and the name of the artist who recorded the song - in the comment section of each post. Comments are date and time stamped.
  8. Any entries received after midnight on Saturday will not be accepted.
  9. You must consistently use the same identity when posting your answers.
  10. The winner will be announced each Monday morning, starting Monday, November 12.
  11. The weekly prize is a compilation CD of the songs used in the contest throughout the month.**
  12. Each week's winner will be placed into a random drawing for a grand prize - a $50 gift certificate to Bridgeview Stained Glass.
  13. The grand prize winner will be announced Monday, December 3.

Put your seatbelts on. This one should be good.

*Perhaps this says something about the quality of my posts, but I'm opting to ignore the implication and move forward.
**The compilation CDs will not be mailed until after December 3.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OOOOOOOOOO! Rob and I are sure winners! He's the song lyric KING! Then again, we're bad posters.

LuluW said...

Ok, I'll play. I'm pretty good with lyrics. What do I win when I kick Rob's butt?

Gwen said...

@Lori: On top of the prizes listed you would win the honor and privilege of kicking Rob's butt at a music game. Which is probably better than the prizes.

Subscribe