Everything I Like Causes Cancer

Where we've been convinced to write a new post on Dec. 2. Stay tuned!

4/24/2008

Thursday Tidbits

Posted by Gwen |

My Redbud Tree

  • Yesterday I signed up for Dictionary.com's word of the day email. Expect it to get really wordy and pompous around here.

  • My mom left this morning for the first vacation she has taken since I was in high school. I am 5 weeks away from 39. She is so excited for this much-overdue trip. She and my uncle, the over-the-road truck driver, are taking a road trip to, through, and across Tennessee, one of my mom's favorite places. It's my impression that they planned some sort of Civil War jihad. I hope they have a great time, don't run into any trouble, and are still speaking when they get home.

  • I was itching like I had fleas all week to start buying annuals. I finally had time last night and went to Lowe's right after work. I was so disappointed in their selection. I did get a lot of the greenery I need . . . vinca, potato vine, asparagus fern . . . but none of the flowers. I am going to go to the corner nursery on my way home tonight. The gal that owns it rarely disappoints me. I should've gone to her in the first place.

  • My red bud tree's gorgeous purple display is about over. I took the picture above this morning, but I'm not happy with it. I put it up here anyway because I may not get another chance as it's supposed to rain the next couple days and the transformation from lavender to green happens fast.

  • I am 95 pages into the new Stephen King book, Duma Key. Whew. It's a good one. You know how he repeats things to create suspense and hammer a point home? Well, in this one he keeps referring to a guy named Wireman. I'm pretty sure I know who Wireman is, even though I haven't met him yet. Anyway, the way he refers to Wireman (so far) is like this: "Wireman says when it comes to the past, we all stack the deck." and "At first you were afraid you'd die and then you were afraid you wouldn't. That's what Wireman says, and he would have known; he had his own season in hell." I've gone back and marked all of Wireman's quips and intend to catalog them here at some point in time because that Wireman, he seems kinda smart.

That is all for today. Have a good one!

5 comments:

Amy, Jeff and the kimchis said...

I used to get the word of the day email from there and from urbandictionary.com.

Two very different emails there.

othurme said...

Your redbud tree is so very href="http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/winsome" target="_self">winsome.

McGone said...

I'm about to partake in my first King novel ("Cell") in years (I have a year-long "Get Back To Readin' Books Ya Internet Junkie" resolution going on).

I have heard mixed reviews on Duma Key. That is to say one person told me "Not so much," and, well... you are the review that makes it mixed.

Gwen said...

McGone: Yeah, I had to give up twitter if I was going to continue to be literate. I was a junkie. Cell was really good, but I didn't like the way he ended it. I'm loving Duma.

othurme said...

You can't just quit Twitter! WE WILL HUNT YOU DOWN!

Subscribe