Everything I Like Causes Cancer

Where we've been convinced to write a new post on Dec. 2. Stay tuned!

FRIDAY

9 am - 5:30 pm: Working for the man.


6:30 pm to 12 am: Haircut. After a series of unfortunate events several years ago, my hairdresser opted to strike out on her own but didn't have a place to set up a shop. She had a strong enough, loyal customer base that she has been able to keep all of us happy in either her kitchen or ours. The convenience can't be beat and sometimes she stays after we're done and we hang out. We celebrated the end of the week with a bottle of champagne, grapes, and some yummy cheese.


We opened a second bottle of wine when the champagne ran out. By the time she left at midnight I found myself a little silly and drunk commenting on all your sites.

What? Oh, you're quite welcome! It really was my pleasure.

SATURDAY

8 am: OMG my head hurts so bad. I remember that straight champagne (as opposed to in a mimosa) gives me a headache the likes of which would incapacitate a medium sized horse. Ow, ow, ow, ow. And apparently the headache was so bad that I had been clenching my jaw in my sleep which made everything 10x worse. It took three hours on the couch, a liter of water, two orange sodas and some chips and french onion dip to make it better. An aspirin might've been faster but this was more fun.

11:30 am: I get a text message from Lil BRR, no pool today. That's ok, I have a ton of errands to run and the solitude will be nice. Showered.

12:30 pm: I head out for a long afternoon of errands that starts with taking my bike into the shop for a new tire. I've decided to release it from it's 3-year-long exile in the garage and start riding it again but the back tire had dry rot. The bike shop guys could not have been any nicer or more helpful. I loved hanging out in the shop. A friend of mine does public relations work for a cycling company and it was fun to get a glimpse of his world. I understand now why he's passionate about cycling. I intend to take my first ride today and will be certain to report any and all mishaps. C'mon! We all know I'm going to crash. I also know this is going to hurt and suck for while, but that if I just keep getting out there, eventually it will get easier and more fun.

Side note to Whiskeymarie: My bike doesn't have a name. Any suggestions?

Maybe I'll ride back up to the shop today and buy a basket.

1:30 pm - 2:30 pm: I browsed up and down every aisle in Big Lots. I like to do this occasionally just to see what they have in the store because you never know what treasure is around the corner, marked $1. I found some really nice planters for next to nothing - a nested set of 3 for $12 and an urn for $20. They also had reed diffusers for $5 so I picked up a couple.

2:30 pm to 3 pm: After dropping off the Big Lots goodies at home, I grabbed the book I'm reading and went Blues City Deli for lunch. On my way, however, I saw the produce lady that sits in a parking lot up the street from my house. I stopped at her stand and bought tomatoes and pickling cukes. I made a batch of pickles last summer that were such a hit that my friend Mary H. has been after me since to teach her how to make them. When I saw the bins and bins of pickling cukes, I had to get them. She and I are making pickles today about 2, if you want to come by and watch.

Last year's batch.

3 pm to 3:30 pm: I finally make it to Blues City. This place makes the best sandwich in town. Period. No argument. The owner is a drummer who I met years and years ago when he played in my very favorite STL blues band, so it's also one of those places where everyone knows my name. My personal connection does not bias my judgment of the sandwiches, though. Seriously, look at it. This one is The Vino: fresh locally baked bread, roast beef, bacon, lettuce, tomato, pickle, and a sweet red pepper sauce so tasty it'll make you wanna slap yo momma, which is why I never go there with her.


The ambiance in this place is kickin as well. There is generally one blues musician or another playing and the walls are covered in blues memorabilia.

I sat there, ignoring my book because the people watching was so awesome, eating my sandwich, enjoying the view, and listening to the musical talents of Jim "Ribtip" McClaren. It felt good to be alive.

3:30 pm to 4:30 pm: Again, up and down every aisle, but this time at Target. I had a list but I also had time so I browsed and browsed. I also spent double what I was expecting and had budgeted, but I had fun and got some great stuff.

4:45 pm to 6:30 pm: Carrying in bags, putting away goods and lounging on the couch.

6:30 pm to 11 pm: Hung out at Heathybear's new apartment. We intended to continue unpacking her stuff but when I got there she had popped a bottle of champagne to celebrate her new place so we sat on her couch drinking mimosas and watching Arrested Development until I couldn't keep my eyes open any more.

Well, I'm off to take my shower and then make sure we have all the ingredients we need to make pickles. If I already had that basket, I'd ride my bike to the store. Maybe I will anyway and take my backpack.

UPDATED TO ADD, 12:20 PM: I'm so glad I didn't take the bike. The bike shop was closed and the first grocery I went to didn't have fresh dill. The second one had everything I needed, but after having scanned my items in the self-checkout lane I realized I hadn't brought my wallet and had to go back home to get it. Add in that it's hotter than the underside of Satan's balls out there today, and you've got one me who never runs errands on her bike again. Crisis averted by laziness.

13 comments:

The Lady Who Doesn't Lunch: said...

Sometimes when I read your blog I wish I was single.

Whiskeymarie said...

Nice job linking to the ball comment- well played.

And, I think your bike is sassy and a bit of a tomboy. She looks like a Marlys to me.
Maybe Marlys and Dirk can go on a date sometime.

Whiskeymarie said...

OH! and I'm making pickles today too!
Yay! Pickle party!

RW said...

Champagne is best at breakfast. Oh and you're linked.

Julie said...

Chips and french onion dip make everything better.

McGone said...

There has to be a fascinating story behind the nickname "Ribtip." Please find that out, won't you?

Moe Wanchuk said...

Can I get in on the Pickle party? Sounds kinda interesting! Trust me..My old lady wouldn't care.

Renaissance Woman said...

I am growing cucumbers this year...I would love to learn how to make pickles. I'll wait for your update. Sounds like the perfect weekend.

Gwen said...

Lady: Sometimes when I read yours I wish I was married.

WM: Thank you, thank you. I loved the phrase-ology so had to steal it. Also thank you for Marlys' name. It's perfect. She said she was going to pass a note to Dirk in study hall. Fingers crossed!

RW: I have to agree, that way you have all day to drink water. Thanks for the linky love!

Julie: Add an orange soda to that and you could conquer the world.

McGone: Rumor has it that he was bony back in the day.

Moe: Sure, you ask to help after the work's all done. Nicely timed.

Ren Woman: Stay tuned!

Anonymous said...

Can we take my folks to Blues City next time they are in the city? I think they would love it.

Oh and thank you so much for making me rest Saturday night. Not unpacking was the right thing to do cause I needed the rest for Sunday. Ugh who the heck moves in 101 degree weather...ME!!!

XOXO,
H

othurme said...

I never get out of target for less than triple what plan to and should be spending. I hate that place.

Dr Zibbs said...

And ny the way Gwen. You have some great "real life" pictures on your blog. You always take the pics and then actuallyt post them. Well done.

Gwen said...

Heathybear: I'll use any reason I can get to eat there. I'm happy that my laziness is appreciated.

Othurme: Did you know they sell bacon now?

Dr. Zibbs: Thanks, Doc. I have my camera with me at all times. You just never know when something funny is going to happen.

Subscribe