Everything I Like Causes Cancer

Where we've been convinced to write a new post on Dec. 2. Stay tuned!

11/14/2008

Failte, Bonvenu, Vilkommen

Posted by Gwen |

This new SPOTLIGHT magazine cover from 1966 has nothing to do with this post except that I am showcasing some new blogs today and the name of the magazine contains the word SPOTLIGHT.  Get it?


That, and I knew this guy's eyes would weird you out.  Do you think that's Joe Dolan on the cover?  I wonder what his viewpoint was . . . "I can see both sides of the issue."?

But we're not here today to talk about Joe's wonky eyeballs, we're here to get to know the new recruits.  Let's pretend we're taking the new guys on the sales team to a drinking lunch!

You may recognize their names because these creepy lurkers have been skulking around here for a while, occasionally gracing us with a comment.  In fact, one of Scope's comments (he was using the pseudonym Eric at the time) recently got him nominated for the Candy's Daily Dandy Comment Hall of Fame contest.  I met Scope this spring at that party in Chicago where we burned Christmas trees and told him about Dr. Zibbs so that he would start reading my blog.  It worked and I guess he liked you guys because he decided to set up shop at Scope-Tech.  Go over and holla at him if you haven't already.  Teaser:  There's a video of a dead whale getting blown up with dynamite.  I wouldn't kid about flying blubber.

Today's second spotlight dancer is H.  After threatening to do it all spring, H published her first post on It's Always Darkest Before I Open My Eyes at the end of June.  It's been fun to watch one of my closest friends dip her toe into the blog pool, find that the water is fine, and then dive right in.  I think she'd been commenting on your blogs for a while before it dawned on me that Hey! I KNOW that funny gal!  H is a wonderful story-teller and has some doozies in her arsenal.  My favorite is the one about the one-armed man.  I just wish you could hear her laugh when you read them.  Go tell my girl I sent you.

And our final plebe started commenting a couple weeks ago as Baby Ice Dog.  BID had some interesting things to say and I wanted to know more so I clicked on the profile . . . new blogger, only following me.  Um, okay.  Maybe he/she's new and just hasn't finished loading their "follow" widget.  Except it never changed.  Somewhere along the line I googled "Baby Ice Dog" thinking it might shed some light and found a song by Blue Oyster Cult.  This is the first verse:

I had this bitch you see, she made lies to me
Her deceit, oh, it gave me a chill
But I found out now, that baby that baby ice dog


Yeah.  TOTALLY SKEEVED OUT.  But what could I do?  You can't exactly banish a reader and he hadn't said or done anything untoward.

On Tuesday a friend emailed to announce that he had just published the first post on his shiny new blog, Life With Bratwurst . . . Hold The Onion.  I work with his wife and couldn't wait to talk to her the next morning to get all the scoop.  While we were talking she let it slip that he was Baby Ice Dog and giggled maniacally as she told me how he kept asking if I'd talked about the skeevy Baby Ice Dog.  Good one, man!  You totally got me.  I was watching that profile like a hawk.

I'm sure you guys remember what it was like to be the new kid in the blog so go say hi.  Be ambassador monkeys.

19 comments:

Dr Zibbs said...

Gwen, I've already checked their blogs out. I trust all of your blog recomendations. Also, please elaborate what was said about me at the fire. Not for me ego that needs constant feeding or else it will shriver and die after a very long cry, but I think your readers would like to know.

Sass said...

If it comes from Gwen...it's gotta be good.

How's that for a catchphrase?

Go ahead...share it with Zibbs. Take credit for it. I've got big shoulders. I don't need the props.

hee hee.

Hey.......I'm taking little man to the pediatrician today (which is great, because he's totally HOT), and I'm thinking I'll be in the Lou soon....I'm just sayin...I may want to stalk you, or leave a note on your garage or something.

Sass said...

Sh*t. Can't believe I missed it.

Will Zibbs' ego "shriver" like Maria Shriver? Or Eunice Shriver Kennedy?

sorry. I'm really not an a-hole.

Okay, yes I am.

MJenks said...

I followed Scope back after he left a comment over at Crown of Thistles Central.

The sploding whale was awesome, but when he took Candy to task over letting her kids wear disgusting shirts with offensive logos on them, he endeared himself to me forever.

Unknown said...

There is no better love than linky love...or I just need to get out more.

Unknown said...

I will go check that one because you said something about stuff blowing up. That's all I needed.

LegalMist said...

Forget the eyes in the magazine cover -- check out the nose -- is it just the way it shows up on my monitor, or does that dude have "bats in the cave"?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads up - going to check them all out now!!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh man my first comment didn't post. Just know that it was a hoot and involved me spinning around to the song Dancing Queen whilst in the spotlight.

Gwen - thanks for the shout out. Couldn't/wouldn't have done it without you. See you on the lanes in 5 hrs.

Don't be jealous...I get to hang with G tonight. SWEET!

Jennifer and Sandi said...

Lanes? As in bowling lanes? I need to get out more!!

HAPPY FRIDAY!
- Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh! Late to post! Thanks for the good words, though. You know, I forgot the words to Baby Ice Dog when I picked the name. My friends and I wore that album out one summer in the early 70's. We all thought it would make a great C.B. handle (talk about dating myself). "Hot Rails To Hell" was my favorite on that album. Bet I couldn't have increased the creepy factor more if I'd done the research. Still friends I hope. As for Baby Ice Dog, he did post eventually. It was quite raunchy. Think I like reading raunch more that writing it. So, after a one day debut, I pulled the blog and shot Baby Ice Dog in the heart. May he rest in peace!

Scope said...

Zibbs, I think she said:

- The police often question him, just because they find him interesting.
- He can cure narcolepsy just by walking in a room.
- Even his enemies list him as their emergency contact.
- Every time he goes for a swim, dolphins appear. Even in swimming pools.
- He's a lover, not a fighter.
- But he's also a fighter, so don't get any ideas.
- His legend precedes him like LIGHTENING precedes THUNDER.

Or was that a beer commercial? Regardless, it was along those lines.

Amanda said...

You've been tagged. Check my blog to see what you have to do!

Elizabeth said...

151 blog subscriptions isn't enough for me. I'm going to have to check these out!

Candy's daily Dandy said...

Your "Gwen e' sais quois" strikes again! Always a pleasure to get a shout out from the "Gwenosphere"! (couldn't resist)
Thanks so much. Scope rocks and I have seen this Braturst guy and his funny comments. I will be checking them out. Good post!

Ps-I heard that mjenks-bring it on dude! and don't be a hater. (If this is the case your gonna love Monday's post!)

Anonymous said...

I took them all flowers and booze. Then I peed on their lawns and left. I'm sure they'll welcome me back right?

Dr Zibbs said...

Hello? Helloooo? ....Echo....Echo.... I mean hello? Are you OK Gwen? We need your words to live.

Anonymous said...

Where did our funny Gwennie go? It's so quiet...so very quiet...

Anonymous said...

I know what will lure her out. Gwen I posted photos of you from Friday night over on my blog. Approx 5lbs of chicken n' dumplings must show up on my doorstep by 7pm and I will take the contest down.

Seriously girl, you ok?

Subscribe