Making this slightly-lopsided and way-to-big-at-the-waist dress, a.k.a. a palette for embellishments, was no small feat and took me two days to complete. The first one I cut was way too small. I was able to get it on but had about 23,000 pins sticking into my sides. I had to take the pins out to get it off. Thankfully I had anticipated this sort of set-back and saved a big piece of the sheet.
I used the first draft to sketch the second, adding 2.5 inches to the sides for good measure, and everything was sailing along, easy peasy. I had everything sewn except one side. Then the machine broke. Within the first five stitches the whole thing locked up with a "clunk!" and I couldn't get the needle to move. I ended up using tin snips to break the needle in order to unbind everything. I put everything back to rights, according to the book, and within the next five stitches the same thing happened. I ended up bending every machine needle I had in my kit before I gave up.
According to the repair shop it was risky to sew material with a frayed edge (like a sheet) without trimming or finishing it first. It seems so obvious now. I ended up using seam tape to finish the dress because my machine may not be fixed by Saturday morning. Remind me to wear something under it in case that seam gives.
All in all, it was quite the learning experience. There's one daunting task left before I get to hot-glue the embellishments (the FUN! part) and I still haven't figured it out but I'm sure I can. I mean, c'mon! I've gotten pretty far with only these notes, jotted on the sheet before I started cutting: