Everything I Like Causes Cancer

Where we've been convinced to write a new post on Dec. 2. Stay tuned!

Lookit! I made a dress! And I did it all by myself using only my pea-sized brain!

Making this slightly-lopsided and way-to-big-at-the-waist dress, a.k.a. a palette for embellishments, was no small feat and took me two days to complete. The first one I cut was way too small. I was able to get it on but had about 23,000 pins sticking into my sides. I had to take the pins out to get it off. Thankfully I had anticipated this sort of set-back and saved a big piece of the sheet.

I used the first draft to sketch the second, adding 2.5 inches to the sides for good measure, and everything was sailing along, easy peasy. I had everything sewn except one side. Then the machine broke. Within the first five stitches the whole thing locked up with a "clunk!" and I couldn't get the needle to move. I ended up using tin snips to break the needle in order to unbind everything. I put everything back to rights, according to the book, and within the next five stitches the same thing happened. I ended up bending every machine needle I had in my kit before I gave up.

According to the repair shop it was risky to sew material with a frayed edge (like a sheet) without trimming or finishing it first. It seems so obvious now. I ended up using seam tape to finish the dress because my machine may not be fixed by Saturday morning. Remind me to wear something under it in case that seam gives.

All in all, it was quite the learning experience. There's one daunting task left before I get to hot-glue the embellishments (the FUN! part) and I still haven't figured it out but I'm sure I can. I mean, c'mon! I've gotten pretty far with only these notes, jotted on the sheet before I started cutting:

17 comments:

Sassy Britches said...

Am BEYOND impressed with your sewing skills. I would never have gotten past the threading the machine point. That one always held me up in good 'ole 4-H. Seam tape?! Yeah, light years ahead of me.

You guys are going to have so much fun!

Dr Zibbs said...

You should whore it upo with the bedazzler.

Moderator said...

My uncle did something like this but with human skin. I come from a really weird family.

Annelie said...

Impressive.
I always think I want a sewing machine, and if I had one, I would make stuff all the time. But then I borrowed one from MIL, didn't use it until the night before I was going to return it, and produced something absolutely hideous...

Cora said...

I have a sewing machine too. The weird thing is whenever I try to sew with a pattern, I totally mess it all up, but if I wing it (whatever it is I'm making) it usually ends up pretty cute. Just can't figure out why that is.

But, yes, wear something under it! You just never know! :-)

hello haha narf said...

i have two old sewing machines and unfortunately they just sit there. sad. you make me wanna create something. dammit.

Tash said...

For me, learning how to sew was on par with learning physics and chemistry. There were tears, there was bleeding, and not much to show for it.

Renaissance Woman said...

I can't even sew a button...

I am very impressed with your skills. I will send you my measurements for the next dress. :)

Bella@That damn expat said...

Do you take orders?

You got skills woman!

katrocket said...

I always knew you were a crafty gal, but this is ridiculous.

I want photos when you're finished, but in the meantime, can we see an artist's rendition of your final fashion vision?

katrocket said...

Sorry - nevermind! I should read your posts in the correct order before I go making irrational demands for things you've already done.

Jennifer and Sandi said...

Make sure the dress is OFF you while hot glueing embellishments!!

Can't wait to see the finished product!

Happy Tuesday!!

- Jennifer

Anonymous said...

We're curtain skirtin' now.....

Whiskeymarie said...

I'm a half-assed sewer, much like yourself. I always end up with SOMETHING, but sometimes I have no idea how.

Anonymous said...

You're doing great! Sheesh, I feel like such a knucklehead. I couldn't do this if my life depended on it!

mike said...

One time I had a pair of jeans with a hole in the front pocket. I tried to sew it with a little hotel needle and thread kit.

I did not take the pants off first, which turned out ok.
I made big huge "X" shoelace-type Frankenstein stitches instead of little tight ones. That did not turn out well at all. (but I tried)

Fancy Schmancy said...

Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Subscribe