Everything I Like Causes Cancer

Where we've been convinced to write a new post on Dec. 2. Stay tuned!

2/25/2009

WANT

Posted by Gwen |

Right after college I rented a house with a couple of guys. We had pets, all kinds of pets. We had an iguana, two parakeets, an Oscar fish, a dog or two, and two ferrets. The ferrets were my favorites. I can't remember their names anymore but those two were hilarious!

They were brother and sister and I got them from a friend who was moving and couldn't keep them in the his new apartment. The little girl had hydrocephalus which meant that periodically her head would swell and she would just lay around the cage until she felt better. I'd had them for about a year when she had an episode that didn't get better. The vet couldn't do anything about it so I had to put her down. I still get weepy thinking about her.

But while we had them, we had fun! We had a remote control car that we ran around the house just for the boy because he loved to chase it and bite the tires. If you slowed it down enough he would jump on and ride it. About once a week I'd throw them in the tub for bath time and they loved it! I always had to leave my desk drawers open a smidge because they used it as a jungle gym - you never knew when an insatiably curious little head would come popping out of a drawer.

I loved those little turds and wish I had thought about ferrets before I got my cats. Don't get me wrong, I love my boys, but ferrets are SO MUCH FUN!

16 comments:

The Lady Who Doesn't Lunch: said...

I'm not sure how I feel about ferrets as a species or a pet, although I like the word ferret very much and use it as a verb sometimes to describe my tendency to hide candy.

Unknown said...

I am not much of an animal lover...
*ducks your pooflingin*

MJenks said...

good lord, Gwen. Did you also have an eagle and a panther and go about fighting pagan cults that offered human sacrifices?

Gwen said...

You guys are cracking me up! The ferret has been domesticated since the dawn of time. Swearsies. They make great pets because they are inquisitive, funny, and sleep 16 hours a day.

LegalMist said...

Gwen, I agree with you that ferrets are adorable! And friendly, inquisitive, and even cuddly. Despite that, I have to disagree with you on the "make great pets" part of your post. I had one in college, too. It was not possible to keep him in a cage -- he always managed to unlatch it and get out. Then I would come home to find that he had climbed on every shelf in my room, knocking every item from every shelf onto the floor. Either my ferret was an insomniac or hyperactive, or yours were sleepier than average -- my ferret seemed like he never slept. He'd climb all over the place all night and then, as mentioned, spend the day destroying everything in my room. I finally had to give him away to someone who had a whole "ferret room" in her house, with other ferrets for him to play with. He was a good ferret after that, so maybe he was just bored when he was alone?

mo.stoneskin said...

Ferret is a word I would like to use more often.

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to own one! But yeah, not with my cat. OR with my husband. He'd throw me out with the ferret on my back!! LOL

Some Guy said...

The image of the ferrets' bath time reminds me of the scene in Big Lebowski. You're not a nihilist, are you?

Alex Galvez said...

I can smell them varments from here!

Alex Galvez said...

I can smell them varments from here!

mike said...

Were they Trouser Ferrets?

words...words...words... said...

I am stealing this story from a friend because it's SO appropriate:

I had a pet ferret when I was in college. I always referred to her as a weasel. ("Weasel" is just more fun to say than "ferret". Try it out. See?) Once a week, I would take her to the laundry room across the hall from my dorm room, and give her a bath in the sink there. She hated it. She would thrash around, and I always got more water on me than on her.

One time, after bathing her, I put her back in my dorm room, then wandered out into the lobby. The front of my pants were soaked from the crotch on down the inseams of the legs, and it didn't occur to me how it must look.

I entered the lobby, and a girl was standing there. She glanced at me, then looked down at my wet pants. She got this kind of incredulous horrified look, looked back up at me, then down at the pants again. I looked down, and it hit me what she was thinking. Wanting to clarify this immediately, I stammered, "Oh, no. No, no. It's not what you think! I was just washing my weasel."

Somehow that didn't help. She actually slowly backed away from me. I'm not just saying that for comedic effect; she literally walked backwards, eyes wide and fixed on me, and hands held out in a defensive position. Then she turned and ran through the doors to the outside. I briefly considered running after her to attempt an explanation, but realized restraining orders can be a real hassle when you live on the same campus.

SouthernBelle said...

Adorbski.

Aren't ferrets a bit stinky though?

Mermanda said...

LOL Times Ten @ Words Words Words

paperback reader said...

Ferrets are only okay in the Beastmaster movies.

Fancy Schmancy said...

My son has been trying to get me buy him a ferret for years. I keep telling him to get a job and move out, then he can do whatever he wants!

Subscribe