Everything I Like Causes Cancer

Where we've been convinced to write a new post on Dec. 2. Stay tuned!

Wow.  You guys really don't go in for ferret stories, do ya?  My last post has now been up for over 12 hours and only received 11 comments and I lost two followers today.  While I think you're all washed up with regard to your stance on ferrets, I have noted your lack of interest and will refrain from telling any more in the future.  As if I even had another one up my sleeve.  Shuh.

Anyway, a while back I asked Stacie of Stacie's Madness to assign me a letter of the alphabet for a meme.  Like, so long ago the meme is now passe, yesterday, last week, and a rule change was in order.  Hold onto your hats, monkeys, these new rules are revolutionary.  They are insane.  They are going to set the Internet on its ear.  You've never seen anything like this before in the history of ever.  It's crazy talk, but here goes: 

Instead of posting a list of seven things I like that start with S . . . I'm posting a list of songs I like that start with S.

(I was just kidding with all that build-up stuff, BTW.)

I was surprised to find there are 233 songs in my library that start with S, and there are A LOT of them I like, but I tried to pick the ones that stood out, the ones I could hear without them playing.

There are the songs that make me move, from the first note:

Shut Up and Let Me Go, The Ting Tings  (recommended by My Pal Zibbs of That Blue Yak)
Santeria, Sublime
Sabotage, The Beastie Boys
Secret Squirrel, Marcy Playground (lead singer = cutie patootie)
Say What!, Stevie Ray Vaughn (this video has great footage of his hands at work)
Smile, Lily Allen
Space Lord, Monster Magnet
Soweto '76-'06, Joy Denalane (couldn't find a video but this audio clip thingie is pretty damn cool)


And the songs that move me, from the first note:

Send In The Clowns, Barbara Streisand  (Shut it, I luh-huh-huv this song.)
Somebody, Depeche Mode
Soul Kitchen, The Doors
Suddenly I See, KT Tunstall
Stone Free, Jimi Hendrix

And songs that  you never want to hear played in my car because I WILL sing along, loud and off-key:

Sanctify Yourself, Simple Minds
Single, Natasha Beddingfield (GIRL POWER!)
Steady As She Goes, The Raconteurs
Space Age Love Song, A Flock of Seagulls
Soul Food, Leela James (I dare you not to move your ass to this one.  Triple dog dare.)
She's Not There, The Zombies

What's your favorite song that starts with "S"?  Why do you love it so much?

21 comments:

Tom said...

You have some good songs on there but send in the Clowns? I'm sorry I just think of John Wayne Gacy when I hear it because I have a clown phobia.

mo.stoneskin said...

After the ferret incident it's pretty bold to go mentioning squirrels.

The Imaginary Reviewer said...

I can play one of these songs on the guitar. Can you guess which one it is?

Little Brr said...

Well, I have one song that fits into all three categories... "Sex on Fire" - Kings of Leon. Yeah, it "moves"... uhh.. errm... me because it's sorta naughty or should I say it makes me want to be naughty?

Scope said...

Years ago when a co-worker's ferrets passed into the great beyond (not via a wood chipper) I found a web page that had ferret angel garden statues.

I got so wrapped up in trying to find that page again (and couldn't) that I forgot to comment at all.

Sorry 'bout that. I will do better next time.

Cowguy said...

I had to go listen to SRV's Say What... just because that song kicks it in gear for me too. Stevie Ray made dressing like a pimp an acceptable thing in Texas.

Great list Gwen!

MJenks said...

"Smells Like Teen Spirit". As I was coming of age and awakening to the world of music, this anthem of teenage angst blared from every speaker on every corner in my little slice of the world. It was inescapable. It was pandemic. It was poetry.

I knew some people who had ferrets. They would bring them to my aunt's in-ground pool and let them swim. That's when I learned that ferrets LOVES them some water.

I lost a follower overnight, too. I think it has something to do with them reformatting something on the following add-on.

Cora said...

My favorite "S" songs? Umm... Short Skirt/Long Jacket by CAKE, Summer Moved On by A-HA, and Stayin' Alive by the Bee Gees. But Shut Up and Let Me Go is SPECTACULAR too (especially on the treadmill - I can't get enough!)

Whiskeymarie said...

"She Sells sanctuary" by the Cult, "Some Girls are Bigger than Others" by the Smiths and "strange Magic" bu ELO come to mind.

Also- I like ferrets, ferret stories, and all things ferret-related. I just didn't have time to post any comments yesterday.
They're cute, fuzzy, and little- everything I like in a pet.

Son of a Thomas said...

S.A.T.O by Ozzy Osbourne. The guitar solo in that song is fu****g fantastick

Unknown said...

WOW, those are great.

Shut up and Drive is a good one, by Rhianna

Mel O said...

I happen to LIKE ferret stories! And if I could "follow" you twice, I would!! Just say "SCREW YOU!" like I did to the people who just don't get you :) :) :)

Dr Zibbs said...

You should have just made up the names of the ferrets in this post. Then we'd believe you actually had ferrets.

The Imaginary Reviewer said...

Oh, and my favourite S songs:

Southern Accents - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Set You Free - N-Trance
Silent Command - Cabaret Voltaire
She Don't Hear Your Prayer - Cousteau

Anonymous said...

ANY song by Stevie Ray Vaughn, or Kenny Sheperd, or Jonny Lang, or KT Tunstall.

Okay, that wasn't really what you asked for, but I'm too lazy to go back and do it right. :-)

mike said...

WM stole my thunder on She Sells Sanctuary... I love that song. How about Soulshine by the Allman Brothers, Safety Dance, Straight Outta Compton?

Mel O said...

SAFETY DANCE!!!!!!!!!!! Ha ha ha ha... they just don't make music that good anymore...

mike said...

I also just lost 2 followers. I think it's a conspiricy.

mike said...

@Melo: you are right. I LOOOOVE Safety Dance. I literally listen to that song on my ipod at least every other day. There is no way you can listen to that song and not be in a good mood!

Fancy Schmancy said...

Shakedown Street, Greateful Dead. It's one of their funky dance numbers, and will always be one of my favorites!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-EI-yid1NY

Anonymous said...

Superstitious - Ssstevie Wonder
Gwen-Lately I have been spending my Sssunday mornings catching up on your blog and laughing my ass off. Thanks for ending or starting my week off (whichever way you want to look at it) with a laugh! - Tammy

Subscribe