Everything I Like Causes Cancer

Where we've been convinced to write a new post on Dec. 2. Stay tuned!

3/29/2009

Sunday Matinee: Pink Martini

Posted by Gwen |

I instantly fell in love with the band Pink Martini the first time I heard it.  I love the sound, the philosophy, the look, the plinky piano; I love all of it.  So check it out.  What else do you have to do besides pick the lint out of your toes?  Press play and read.


Amado Mio, from Gilda

From their website, because they explain it better than I could:
"Pink Martini is like a romantic Hollywood musical of the 1940s or 50s – but with a global perspective which is modern,” says founder and artistic director Thomas M. Lauderdale. “We bring melodies and rhythms from different parts of the world together to create something which is new and beautiful.

The Portland, Oregon-based ‘little orchestra’ was founded in 1994 by Lauderdale, a Harvard graduate and classically trained pianist, to play political fundraisers for progressive causes such as civil rights, the environment, affordable housing and public broadcasting. In the years following Pink Martini grew from four musicians to its current twelve, and has gone on to perform its multilingual repertoire on concert stages and with symphony orchestras throughout Europe, Asia, Greece, Turkey, Lebanon, Canada and the United States.

"At one moment, you feel like you’re in the middle of a samba parade in Rio de Janeiro, and in the next moment, you are suddenly in a French music hall of the 1930s or in a palazzo in Napoli. It’s like an urban musical travelogue."

Sympathique

11 comments:

Sass said...

I'm so sad right now. I have no sound, and no video.

I'll just imagine that it's very cool, and I'm very...not.

Gwen said...

Here, Sass, I'll sing it for you.

. . . mi mi mi mi mi mi . . .

On second thought I don't want a bunch of dogs showing up in my yard.

Never mind.

mo.stoneskin said...

Sorry, can't stay...

...need to de-lint my toes.

Cora said...

It took me a minute to get into it, but, yeah, I see what you mean, Gwen. It all of a sudden kind of possessed me. I like it. :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is right up my alley. I like this so much, I might actually BUY the album instead of stealing it!

Woot!

Gwen said...

Cora: It's fun music for a dinner party or drinking wine and cooking. It's also a ton of fun to samba with the vacuum cleaner!

Gwen said...

Notbenny: YAY! A convert!

The Lady Who Doesn't Lunch: said...

Oooh - that is right up my alley. I'm heading to iTunes this very instant. Thanks Gwennie!

Fancy Schmancy said...

Wow, that is fanTASTIC! I'm so into it, I cannot even tell you how much I want to dance right now!

Dr Zibbs said...

Great stuff Gwen.

hello haha narf said...

it is probably wrong that i am appreciating that phenomenal woman as much as i enjoyed the song.

Subscribe