Everything I Like Causes Cancer

Where we've been convinced to write a new post on Dec. 2. Stay tuned!

I was folding laundry on Sunday when I came across this pajama top that my mom gave me as part of a Victoria's Secret sleep set so long ago that I can't even remember what the bottoms looked like. This top has aged to a sickly grayish-yellow color, the ends of the sleeves are frayed, and the material is so thin now that you can almost see through it.


But I love it. I love it because my mom gave it to me. I love it because it has rubbed against and been removed by every man I have ever seriously loved. I love it because it's comfortable. It never stays in my dresser very long because it's always my first choice. Apologies to all my other pajama tops, but this one is my favorite.

I suspect everyone has at least one piece of clothing like my pajama top: that pair of shoes you can't seem to throw in the trash despite them being broken down and soleless; that ratty-ass three-quarter-sleeve tee-shirt from the 1986 AC/DC Fly on The Wall tour that is covered in paint stains the same color as your second bathroom; that pair of jeans you finally had to make into cut-off shorts and now you can't get rid of the shorts even though your ass hangs out the bottom like a $2 hooker.

So I want you to do me a favor. Tonight when you get home from work, or today while the kiddos are napping, go find your clothing/footwear/accessory equivalent of my pajama top and take a picture of the revered item. Post the picture on your own blog tomorrow and tell us the story behind it. You don't have to link back to this post because I don't get fussy about stuff like that but please do come back and leave a comment so we can find and enjoy your stories.

I know you want to participate - I can see it in your eyes - but maybe you simply can't bear the idea of missing even one installment of Wordless/Blowing Up Shit/Six Word/Totally Awkward/Whatever Thursday, so do it because I asked in my 600th post. Yes, this is my 600th post. It's the least you could do considering I've slaved over this keyboard trying to make you laugh or think or cry or get angry, or all of the above at once, 600 times since July 7, 2007. It isn't much to ask. It isn't much to ask at all, monkeys.

UPDATES!!!

9:06 PM: EILCC announces its very first 600-Post Show and Tell Extravaganza* entry from . . . drum roll, please . . . no, really, do it on your desk with your index fingers . . . c'mon! . . . bllllllllllllllllll . . .

Tags Times Two from Skyler's Dad, the sweetest man in Blogaritaville and author of Some Days It's Not Worth Chewing Through The Leather Straps. Finding friends like this man is the greatest perk of blogging. Thanks, SD, for celebrating with me!

I can't wait to see what the rest of you have in your drawers. Keep 'em coming!

*Thanks to C.B. Jones for inadvertently naming our event in his comment. I laughed, hard. Could someone please put 10 Gwen Points on the board for C.B.? Thanks. (Gwen Points are not real nor are they redeemable for anything. I just got caught up in my own narcissism and went a little crazy. But the points still have a good connotation. I didn't mean to strip them of all value in that first sentence, just any imagined tangible value because I don't have Gwen Prizes to go with them. Shit. There I go again, naming things after myself that don't even exist. I apologize; I'm out of control.)

9:17 PM: I just spotted another one! In a Sentimental Mood by The Lady Who Doesn't Lunch. I adore this woman. A-DORE. She is classy and funny and I want to sit with her by a pool, wearing big straw hats and reading trashy magazines while handsome men silently bring us mai-tais and fan us.

7:18 AM: Here's what we collected overnight! There are some great stories in here . . .

I love it when you give this man a task; he always gives more than you requested.

Love Letters by Cora: Because Gwen Asked Me To
I thought about keeping these two separate on this list but realized Cora would likely hack her way in here and rearrange things if I did so I left them be. No monkey business over here, you two. EILCC has a low PDA threshold.)

mjenks, A Crown of Thistles: Stuff
Apologies to jenks, the man with whom I can be as un-PC as I want and he still thinks it's funny . . . I noticed early yesterday that some verbiage in this post was confusing and led jenks to believe that I was asking for pictures of your own pajama tops, so I re-worked one phrase but failed to mention the distinction to him. I'm sure he won't mind, he is the kind of guy who likes to do his own thing anyway. Also, when you read his post, pretend that all that really nice stuff he says about his new friend Kristine is about me; I did.

I expected to find a couple shirts that belonged to ex-boyfriends when I went digging through your closets and dressers and ~E has given us our very first one. This saucy little Seattle minx loves her special shirt so much she bought others just like it and marked "the special one" with a laundry pen!

9:32 AM: I am pleased as punch that everyone is doing this!

Candy's post proves that a woman will do anything for a pair of shoes she loves.
It would seem Sass couldn't resist the siren song of a Wordless/Blowing Up Shit/Six Word/Totally Awkward/Whatever Thursday but she managed to work in a story about a sweatshirt that has earned BFF status. God love her.

33 comments:

MJenks said...

For you Gwen, I'll put off the story of the explosive diarrhea given to me by the Sushi joint until next week, just I can take a picture of my sleepy-shirt.

BeckEye said...

Rats. My camera is broken, and I keep procrastinating about sending it in to get fixed. I'm sure I'll do it right after the warranty expires.

If I could've taken a picture though, it probably would've been of a tee shirt I bought in college. I wear it all the time, even though it has holes in it and is riddled with food, beer, and paint stains. But it's so comfy and it makes me feel young.

H said...

Congrats on your 600th Gwen! It seems like only yesterday you were writing your 599th. I will cater to your wishes and post a pic tomorrow. Love you!

XOXO,
H

Jennifer and Sandi said...

AMEN! I have TONS of pieces of clothing I just can't part with. My B/F even laughs hysterically at all of my 1980 flannel shirts I still have. If it's comfy....KEEP IT!!!!

Happy Wednesday!

- Jennifer

Sid said...

I'm in. Should be fun.

SkylersDad said...

Sounds like fun, I am in!

Soda and Candy said...

Yeah, I have emotional attachments to heaps of pieces of clothing.... the challenge will be finding one that has an INTERESTING story and isn't just me being crazy.

LegalMist said...

600... wow, I'm in awe!

rachaelgking said...

Mine is this totally ratty and gross USMC shirt from when my HS boyfriend went to bootcamp. My current BF hates it, of course, but it is the softest thing I own... I just can't part with it.

Christopher Jones said...

I can't get close enough to my favorite pair of Fila without passing out from funk overload to get a decent picture of it.

I also don't have a camera, so I couldn't take part in this show and tell either way, unfortunately.

Unknown said...

hmmm, i'd really have to think about this...I am a purger...there are not many items (none that I can think of) that have been kept.

Most have been givin to good will, but I will think about it and if I remember something I will post.

Whiskeymarie said...

Quit ragging on my bootylicious jean shorts, hater.

You think I'm joking, don't you?

I'll find something that won't scare the internets, just for you.
XO

mo.stoneskin said...

Hmm, I may do this. If I don't please forgive me and remember my persistence during the 'widget problem' last week...

It depends on a) time, I didn't even post today or think I would be able to 2mro and b) whether I think the rotting tshirt I've had since I was seven will lose me some followers...

;)

words...words...words... said...

600? Damn, woman! Remember I said I was going to go back and read all your blog entries? Yeah, maybe not so much. Congrats! :)

I pretty much didn't comprehend anything after "see-through".

Dr Zibbs said...

Gwen are you sure that's not Archie Bunker's shirt?

Also, sorry I missed your call last night. My phone was off.

Darn.

Cora said...

600?!?! Egad, girl! I'm in utter awe.

I'm in. I'll postpone the other piece of pointless malarkey I was going to unleash on the world.

(and the world now breathes a small sigh of relief.)

The Lady Who Doesn't Lunch: said...

Your wish is my command.

Sass said...

For you...anything.

I'll do it first thing in the morning...

Fancy Schmancy said...

I happen to be wearing the fav tank top right now. Should I take it off and sent you the picture. If I take it off, should I send you the picture of the tank top, or me? I'm so confused!

SkylersDad said...

Mine is up now, but I am a lazy linker, so go clicky over that a way.

No, more to the left...

Up a little now.

There you go, right there!

Anonymous said...

For you, I'll do anything. Well not lend you money, cook or clean your house or anything like that, but mainly anything.

~E said...

Will be doing so as soon as I get home tonight. In celebration of your 600th.

Congratulations!

Scope said...

Gwen, since you're the reason I'm doing this in the first place, mine will go up tomorrow @ 6:00 am and a second one at noon Central time.

Cora said...

My entry is UP!!!!

(*snicker* That sounds dirty. Is it just me?)

Some Guy said...

I will try to remember to do this. I keep clothes until they practically disintegrate, so I should have lots to choose from.

Happy 600, Gwen! I look forward to the next 600.

Candy's daily Dandy said...

Ok, I'm in.

Congrats on 600...wow, I stand in awe!

Candy's daily Dandy said...

I just posted and sister, I'm all messed up over it I tell ya!

Sass said...

Done. ;)

Renaissance Woman said...

I love this idea...I know that it was meant for last night but I will try and do tonight instead!

Heff said...

Happy 600 ! Everything I like causes cancer, too.

Girl Interrupted said...

This was such a good idea for a post! I might try to have a rummage this weekend and see what I come up with.

I loved the part where you said "I love it because it has rubbed against and been removed by every man I have ever seriously loved" ... I'm so glad I'm not the only one who does that! I love being sentimental about stuff :)

Cowguy said...

Done!

*Mary Lou Retton pose*

Brooke said...

I was sooo excited about this. I didn't have to think twice about my ratty old garment....but, I think I failed the assignment.

Subscribe