Everything I Like Causes Cancer

Where we've been convinced to write a new post on Dec. 2. Stay tuned!

  • HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY VERY DEAR CORA!!!!!! Sugar, I hope you have the best berfday weekend in the history of mankind. Tell Scope I said hi, assuming the two of you come up for air at any point in time over the weekend. Y'all should go wish her a happy-happy because I said so.

  • A while back my friend Leslie and I decided to class our asses up, formed a two-woman Shakespeare Club and bought season tickets to St. Louis Shakespeare. (Special thanks to my pop for the birthday money that bought my tickets!) Tonight is our first foray into classical theater with Merchant of Venice. She just called a minute ago to say she found a gastropub around the corner from the theater called Wm. Shakespeare's. It doesn't get great reviews but we've decided that we just have to go get our English on before the show. I mean, I won't likely be eating kidneys or a meat platter anyway and they can't really screw up fish and chips, can they?

  • Speaking of getting your English on, you should also go check out how Girl Interrupted spent last evening. I still giggle thinking about dropping the eff bomb in front of her mom and grandpa from thousands of miles away. Hee, hee!

13 comments:

SkylersDad said...

I was once in a pub called the old vic in hong kong, and yes, fish and chips can be screwed up - badly!

words...words...words... said...

Don't get this joint too classy, you know what I'm sayin?

I like imagining that to GI's family, you will forever be the woman who plastered swear words all over baked goods. Outstanding!

Gwen said...

SkyDad: Fish and chips in Hong Kong? I'm not surprised they sucked - they were probably made with squid and ricecakes.

Wordsx3: Me? Too classy? Not fucking likely. :)

MJenks said...

I just bought a copy of Merchant of Venice the other day from the library. That's $1 well spent.

Organic Meatbag said...

Can I be in the production of Hamlet? I like screaming and weeping at skulls...did Hamlet fart much? Because I've got that covered too...

Girl Interrupted said...

Oh, I love me a bit of Shakespeare and Merchant of Venice is one of the better ones:

*dons a pair of funny tights and a doublet and postures in an over-the-top manner whilst speaking really loudly*

"If you prick us, do we not bleed? If you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?"

*takes a bow*

Thats my fave bit. :P Have a lovely time.

Ps: Thank you for the linky-love, Gwen ... I'll let you know whether the family counselling is a success or not xx

Anonymous said...

I agree with the others- I love that story.

I suggest starting a wave during the performance, though.

Scope said...

I will do my best to make sure she has a fabulous birthday.

And you have fun shakin' William's spear tonight, too.

Whiskeymarie said...

I was an English Lit. major, yet still I'm not...

...fine. I'll pretend to love Ol' William just for you, baby.
Just for you.

Cora said...

Awwww, thank you, my dear!! :-)

Since the family is in town too and all, Scope and I will likely surface at some point.

Briefly.

Perhaps.

Dammit.

Fancy Schmancy said...

I love Shakespeare, I wish they had something like that around here.

LegalMist said...

You are so hilariously kind, sending Red Velvet cake across the pond for Girl Interrupted. Loved her post, and loved the fact that you provided her with literally everything a gal could want to make the best cupcakes ever!

mizfrizzle@yahoo.com said...

Hey, Gwen!
I was just in England this past spring and was told, while there, that the English were messing up the fish and chips so badly, that they actually paid to have American chefs come in a teach them how to cook it properly! I thought that was funny!

Hope you liked the bard....I'm a Shakespeare fan meself and is me daughter....tee hee!

Subscribe