Everything I Like Causes Cancer

Where we've been convinced to write a new post on Dec. 2. Stay tuned!

11/18/2009

Quitting is for quitters.

Posted by Gwen |

I was in the hallway of the gym last night between classes, watching the itty bitties splash around in the pool in the name of learning to swim (it's ovary-tuggingly adorable, like looking at newborns in a hospital), when I overheard a woman telling her friend that she hadn't attended the spin class because when she tried it last week it was too hard. It made me think about the first time I tried it and how bowlegged and noodly and dehydrated I was when it was over. I understood.


And then she ended up on the mat next to me in pilates. After an appropriate amount of mat positioning and sock removing I made eye contact with her and said, "I overheard you in the hall outside talking about the spin class."

She smiled and seemed interested in what I had to say so I continued, "Give it time. Six weeks ago I had never even been on a spin bike and now I love it."

"I don't know. It's just so HARD. I mean, I tried it once but I don't think I can do it."

"You'll get the hang of it after about the third ride. Just hang in there."

"Oh, I don't think I'm going back."

Huh. It never dawned on me to quit. Even when it hurt to walk and to bend and to get up and to roll over in bed and . . . never once. Even when I had to start all over after being sick for weeks. Even then, EVEN THEN, I never thought about quitting, because pain is temporary.

We had barely moved into some of the more challenging balance and ab work in the pilates class when Ms. Everything's Too Hard stopped trying. I'm not sure what she was accomplishing on that mat of hers but I do know it wasn't the least bit strenuous. She eventually rolled up her mat and left. Poor dummy. She'll never know what it's like to have conquered something soul-suckingly hard like riding a bike and doing fancy crunches. Stupid quitter.

22 comments:

Chemgeek said...

HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!

Chemgeek said...

Actually, it would have been a lot funnier if I would have said:

Quitters suck. They will never amount to

Unknown said...

see I was thinking it was going to be like rehab is for quiters kind of thing...

But I lkie your point too...

~E said...

YEAH! Stupid Quitter!

Hunter said...

Sounds like she needs a little zest in her taco.

Jeannie said...

I have to say that I couldn't do a spin class either. It's not the riding of the bike - it's the discomfort of my ass on that seat! I don't know what changed over the years - bike seats never bothered me when I was young.
That said - I hate the gym. I've been faithful 3 times for over a year each time and hated every minute of it. I wish they had geriatric soccer or something.

Carolyn said...

Too bad for her. I actually like the pain and soreness I have after a really hard workout. It let's me know I've accomplished something.

MJenks said...

Hmmm...something's telling me I should get back to submitting my manuscript(s) to agents...

SkylersDad said...

I see people like that at the gym all the time. My favorite type is the ones who sit on or lean on the equipment, but never use it.

I guess they think it is just physical contact that makes it a workout.

My word ver is "resty"!!

Unknown said...

My gym experience is related on my blog in my August 12th post "Welcome to the Chamber of Horrors." If you haven't read it, you might enjoy it.

mo.stoneskin said...

You, my friend, are an inspiration to us all. Well, not to me, because I don't really care about exercise, I'm working on building my flab at the moment...

I can't believe you touched her eye. That's bang out of order.

Whiskeymarie said...

I quit taking hot yoga, but that was only because the b.o. smell in the studio started to seep into my brain.

Soda and Candy said...

Heh, fancy crunches.

If I could AFFORD to do a gym class I wouldn't let myself quit.

Steam Me Up, Kid said...

That chick is a wussy with a capital P.

Pssht. Girls.

Son of a Thomas said...

That is exactly right.

TB said...

Great point! I hate quiters...life is hard sometimes and you just have to push through.

Candy's daily Dandy said...

Quitters never win and winners never quit.

Hey-it's that time again...Comment Content Hall Of Fame. and you have been nominated!!! BY ME!!!

Stop by my blog. Miss you.

Fantasy Lover said...

Darling, I wrote something for you over at my place. Won't you stop by and leave a comment?

LegalMist said...

Running late today, but I *NEVER* quit...

I've made you my "Friday Feature" this week.

It's nothing like being a blog of note. Plus everyone who reads my blog already knows about your fantastic corner of the internet. So I wouldn't expect a huge bump in readership or anything.

But I wanted you to know how much I enjoy your humor, your generally fun outlook, and your quirky take on life.

Have a great weekend!

Silliyak said...

I came over at Legal Mist's recommendation and started to read your post but it was just TOOOOO long, and made my head hurt.

Anonymous said...

The lady on the mat next to me fell asleep during yoga class. Lazy man. She totally woke me up with her snoring :)

words...words...words... said...

I bet this woman also has Lean Cuisines for dinner every night and follows them with an entire pan of brownies.

Subscribe