Everything I Like Causes Cancer

Where we've been convinced to write a new post on Dec. 2. Stay tuned!

4/14/2010

I do my own stunts.

Posted by Gwen |

I just took my bike out for the first ride of the year. Wow. A real bike is much different than a spin bike. I mean, there are curbs and intersections and car accidents and dogs who want to eat your face and stupid people who act like they own the trail.


Hey lady, you're walking and I'm on a bike. I WILL run you over if you look me in the eye and refuse to move from the middle of the path. I don't like wiping out in rocks, I'm not as nice as my smile would lead you to believe, and it wouldn't hurt you to pick up the pace.


I still rocked it, though. And I kicked the ass of that hill that gave me so much trouble last year. I even stopped at the top, pumped my fists in the air Rocky-style and yelled panted, "I DID IT!" to the amusement of another lady who was NOT hogging the path. She seemed as proud of me as I was. She was cool.

When I got home I tried using a map to figure out how far I went but it was too hard. Let's call it 8 miles, at least until I get an odometer. Also, if anyone cares, I want a bike odometer for my birthday. And a basket so I can take the cats for a ride and carry books home from the library.

15 comments:

ttmac said...

I want a basket too! Let's go basket shopping and bike riding on our day off!!!

Gwen said...

Now THAT'S an idea, miss!

Scope said...

Isn't there "an app for that" that would use the GPS in your iPhone to calculate distance, average speed, elevation changes, etc? I have a GPS watch that does that from WAY THE HELL BACK WHEN I RAN MARATHONS, so your iPhone has got to do it.

(But way to kick that hill's ass. Now to kick "The Hill's" ass next.

SkylersDad said...

A basket for you cats while you ride?

I can't resist...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4kiXh8YOzk

mo.stoneskin said...

Sorry, can't get you the odometer. I already got your birthday present. I've got you some boxing gloves.

Unknown said...

Good for you!!!! Hope you can continue to avoid the rocks.

Sage & Muse said...

Baskets a little bit for pussies. Strap your cats to your back! That's the way real women ride.

Whiskeymarie said...

I can't believe that I never noticed before how our bikes match too. Blue Dirk should take Blue Marlys on a date sometime. Dirk would even let you put stuff in his basket (that's what SHE said!) until you get your own. He's a real gentleman, that Dirk.

We could totally kick that hill's ass together. XOXO

Son of a Thomas said...

Very cool. I just started roller blading with my dogs.

Soda and Candy said...

A bike with a basket would be adorable! Too bad I never learned to ride one.

words...words...words... said...

I enjoy thinking of cats screeching and flying out of the basket while you wipe out on the rocks. Because I am an asshole.

But I will take time out from that long enough to congratulate you on conquering the mound.

Huh huh.

katrocket said...

I'm proud of you too! I bet you'll receive 10 odometers in the mail from your blog-lovahs. I'm goingto send you sparkly handlebar streamers and a matching handlebar moustache. Trailhoggers will totally get the hell outta your way.

Melissa said...

My bike is still hanging in the shed, but I have been thinking about it.

Cora said...

As a kid I practically LIVED on my bike. I haven't ridden one since I was 14 though. I wonder if it's true what they say about how you never forget how to ride one?....

And I wonder if neurological--uhhh--uniqueness and nerve damage will throw off my balance?....

Hmm....

Well, I'll get back on one one day (with a video camera to catch all the hilarity and win my ass $100,000 on AFV, of course. Yeah, baby!)

Discount Furniture Santa Monica said...

Ya, your ride is defiantly incomplete without a basket.

Subscribe