Everything I Like Causes Cancer

Where we've been convinced to write a new post on Dec. 2. Stay tuned!

I apologize for disappearing the last few days. I could actually use a couple more carefree days where I tune out everything but work and food and TV but I can recognize the rumblings of a coup d'etat from as far away as Westchester, PA.

I keep an extremely busy schedule, all the time. I am always on the go. I like having lots of things to do, places to go, and people to see. But lately, instead of feeling fulfilled and happy, I feel harried and ill-prepared. I hate feeling harried; I like to be prepared. I like to take my time and put thought into things. I like to savor things. So far this month I paired a busy social calendar with an obsessive drive to enjoy the last few warm days of fall and found myself always doing two things at once but never fully engaging in either. I had to take a break. Plus, as blog friend
words, words, words so graciously pointed out in the comments to the last post, on Monday I had a hangover. A hangover like no other in many years. It was, I hope, the hangover of the decade so that I carry on, safe in the knowledge that I won’t have to suffer like that again for at least 14 months.

You may be asking yourself what led to such a hangover and I would answer . . .

October 2: My car broke down and it cost $600 to repair it. Not a good way to start a busy month. Especially when your mechanic, a great and dependable guy, only accepts cash. I also attended a debate party that night. After paying the bill at the repair shop, spending time with my friends making fun of Caribou Barbie sounded nice. So did the free food.

October 3: Soulard Oktoberfest



October 4:
Best of Missouri Market


Elizabeth Taylor was there. I thought for sure I captured this shot of her without her knowing it, but as you can see, she saw me. And was apparently pissed.

October 5: a baby shower - the third in a long string of baby showers - there are more to come


October 6-9: WORK, WORK, WORK, TOIL, TOIL, TOIL


October 10: I had dinner with a friend I just don't get to see often enough at Chimichangas.

October 11: two baby showers - I could only attend one because they were two hours apart and started within an hour of one another. By this time I have become so socially frazzled that I left the house without the directions, went back in to get them and proceeded to leave my purse on the kitchen counter. I realized it when I was too far away from the house to go back. I forged ahead without it and later realized that I wrote the directions down wrong and spent 20 minutes driving around trying to find the house, without a cell phone. This is what happens to me when it's been too much; I lose my brain. I made it, but I was 30 minutes late, which drives me fruit. I got home in time to change clothes to meet Peabody and LM and Mary for dinner.

October 12: Columbus Day Parade on The HIll

These two little guys were a riot. Every time there was music in the parade they were shaking their little booties.

The house seen pictured here, across the street, is the residence of Yogi Berra's direct descendants. That's them on the stoop watching the parade! I bet they are saying Yogi-isms.

So that's how I got there. I had Monday off, it was a beautiful day for a parade, and I drank too much. I let my hair down. I blew off some steam. I stayed up waaaaay too late IM'ing with Fal and words3. I'm so glad he opted not to post the transcript of our chat. They did a lot of making fun of me and I typed a lot of, "SHUT UP!"

My pets, and home, and yard, and TiVo, and sanity all remain neglected. I don’t see anything getting done around here considering I’m leaving town Friday and heading to beautiful Jacksonville, Illinois to attend my college Homecoming with these weirdos.

Sometimes you just have to let go and enjoy the ride.

18 comments:

McGone said...

Dear Gwen,

I hate to invite myself, but can I please come to St. Louis for the next Oktoberfest? Because Good Lord a'mighty that is one damn fine looking beer wench.

Yours in Christ,
McGone

Dr Zibbs said...

Excellent post with great pics. A few things. Please post more pics of the German chick. Preferably front on shots and taken from a higher angle. Also, nice little IM party you have going on there. I'd like to join in sometime. Maybe even a phone call. (Ted Knight in Caddy Shack: Ummmmmm? Ummmmmm? Ummmm?)

Mel O said...

You're so good to the guys... but where's our eye candy? Was it supposed to be that hot mess of zucchinis?

You really have a been a busy bee, lately! I know what you mean about feeling as though you're spread to thin. Ugh... it's the worst. But, for totally selfish reasons, I'm so glad you're back :)

Mel O said...

Oh yeah - nice 'stache.





p.s. I thought we hated word verification! ;)

The Imaginary Reviewer said...

Oh Christ...you know I have a 'girls with paper moustaches' fetish, right? (There's sadly very little on the Internet to help me, especially since www.girlswithpapermoustaches.com stopped updating)

Anonymous said...

What's the deal with baby showers anyways? I'd rather rinse off with water, I think babies coming out of a spigot over my head would be rather painful.

Anonymous said...

Gwen - I can't believe you posted that pic of me from Oktoberfest! I was having such a bad hair day. Oh well with boobs like that who's going to notice.

LYDIA said...

I don't have anything funny or witty to say in response to this post, but I do understand very well what you have been going through. Maybe you should take a few more days off :)

Whiskeymarie said...

Your schedule would make me coo-koo like cocoa puffs.

Two weeks without "magazine night" or "staying up late watching QVC" time?

Since you're so good at it, I propose this: I'll come to your place and clean, play with the kitties, watch your TV for you and make cookies, and you can go out and get shit done for me as I seem to be incapable of getting anything done lately.
Deal?

Unknown said...

Elizabeth Taylor is alive??? Mother lied to me!

Moe Wanchuk said...

I like the beer wench too.
Gwen knows how to take care of all 5 male bloggers in this entire world.
You broads should follow her....she's a Leader!

Anonymous said...

Chimi's!

California-style burrito and enchiladas... om nom nom!

Falwless said...

I'm deleting that chat transcript before anyone finds it. There should be no record of those hours.

I'm not nearly as busy as this and yet still have failed at the blog-updating-ness. Oh well. Failure is comfortable to me.

I love the pics - especially the 'stache!

mike said...

I like that the Oktoberfest advertises German beer and even provides "frauleins" but she is standing at a Budweiser table.

I actually worked at the Harpoon Octoberfest here in Boston (sorry I didnt wear that outfit) and it rocked because we were allowed to drink and serve beers at the same time. Good times.

Gwen said...

McGone: Yes, dear. You have earned an open-door policy at my house. But be sure to bring that handsome pig of yours. I miss Fernie.

Zibbsy: Thanks for shaming me out of my hiding place. Being a doctor, you know what's best for me. Are you sure you want to play along with late-night drunk IM'ing? We only talked about you, anyway.

MelO: Yes. The zuchinnis are for the gals. Rowr, no?

MelO: You again? Thanks for letting me know. I had it on for the disgusting things I said last week. It's off now.

IM: I didn't but I'm so glad I am happy to be here for you. I'll leave the light on so you can come see it anytime.

Poo: I know! The chiro bill is killing me after 6 baby showers in 5 weeks.

H: Sorry, I didn't think you'd mind.

LYDIA: I like the way you think. Also, you are allowed to say mean things, too, if that helps.

Whiskey: Deal. Does this make us married? Hey guys! LOOK!! I have a hot wife now!

sm: She lives here in The Lou with Elvis. I hear they stay under the viaduct at 55 and Virginia.

Moe: I do it all for you, baby! All for Moe.

Rebekah: Want to meet there? I'm free Nov. 21. I kid. I'll email you.

Fal: Oh thank God. Make that go away. Yes.

mike: Those beer wagon operators think paying in beer is cheaper, until they met us.

words...words...words... said...

My chat transcript with Gwen and Falwless is now available for only $9.99 at my website, www.bloggersgonewild.com.

Scope said...

The phrase "hangover of the decade" is a serious gauntlet to throw down just before Homecoming weekend, missy. I'm going to see what I can do to make you DRINK those words.

For those of you wondering, "MAC" stands for "Maximum Alcohol Consumption."

Elizabeth said...

It sounds like a wild ride.

Subscribe