Everything I Like Causes Cancer

Where we've been convinced to write a new post on Dec. 2. Stay tuned!

1/28/2009

Snowy Drinky

Posted by Gwen |

Well, we got another couple inches of snow after I went to bed last night and now I really can't get out.  There is about six inches of snow in the alley and my low-riding Spyder is just not built for trekking through that kind of snow.  I called the office about 7 am and took a vacation day.


Days like today remind me of the very best snow day I ever had in my life:  Snowy Drinky.  Yup, it was so good we named it.  It was probably 1999 or 2000.  My friends and I all lived in a small, artistic, eclectic neighborhood in town called Soulard.  Our apartments were scattered all over the neighborhood but since it covers less than a square mile we were never very far away from one another.  At any given time you could expect a knock on your door and an invitation to go for a run or an invitation to go for a drink.  You just never knew who or what would be waiting for you when you answered the door.  It was a really good time in my life and some days I miss all of us living so close in such an interesting place.

Anyway, we had gotten a ton of snow.  My office called early and said not to come in.  Damn near everything in the city closed and before I knew it my cousin and our friend Julie were also home for the day.  The three of us decided to get bundled up and walk around the neighborhood to see what was up (aka Nosy Parker Patrol).  We walked up to the little grocery store in the 'hood and bought a 12-pack and cruised on foot.  We made snow angels and helped people push cars that had gotten stuck.  At one point we decided we needed bloody marys so abandoned the 12-pack in a snow bank and went into a favorite watering hole for a couple hours.  If my recollection is accurate, other people joined us as the day went on.

We had a ball that day.  As we took on additional responsibilities over time - better jobs, husbands, wives, real estate - most of us moved away from Soulard and are now even more scattered so the possibility of another Snowy Drinky happening is slim but is sure was fun while it lasted.

21 comments:

The Imaginary Reviewer said...

That sounds ace. I've never had a snow day in my life. Sadness!

Gwen said...

P.S. When I said we "abandoned" the 12-pack I didn't mean we just left it there like trash. I am an adamant non-litterer. What I meant was we used the snowbank as a cooler and picked it back up on our way out. Although if you know me, you'd know I wouldn't abandon liquor.

BeckEye said...

Unfortunately, it didn't snow ENOUGH here to warrant a Snowy Drinky day, but that sounds awesome. Since I'm at work, I'm going to celebrate the newly created Snowy Slacky day.

McGone said...

I think every day can be a Snowy Drinky day if you just put your mind to it. And your liver.

Candy's daily Dandy said...

We are having a snow day today in Boston! C'mon over and we'll have a Snowy Drinky and go on a Nosy Parker Patrol walk.
Sounds like so much fun!

Unknown said...

I was going to say, I'm sure you didn't abandon the alcohol, but I see you clarified that. Good to know you're as much of a drinker as I am.

Dr Zibbs said...

When we lived in a condo when we first got married it was the same thing. Snow day was a drink day with neighbors.

Son of a Thomas said...

Snowy and drinky, tell me about it. I just attached 3 of my dogs to a sled and loaded on the kids. These Staffordshire terriers have no idea what to do.

Renaissance Woman said...

Oh that sounds like the perfect way to spend a snow day. Hope you enjoy today and are able to have some of the fun as you did before.

words...words...words... said...

This depresses me, because unless I move many states away, I will never have Snowy Drinky day. And Earthquakey Drinky day just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Also, you have a Spyder? Badass.

Anonymous said...

I sooooo need a snowy drinky day...

*pouts*

Unknown said...

sounds like a blast!

Annelie said...

Sounds like an awesome day! I love snow-days and totally miss them now, even more than I miss actual snow...

Moderator said...

I need a drink now.

paperback reader said...

More and more, my nostalgia is aimed at exactly the same sort of moments - where a huge group of people could all go drinking because there wasn't ess else to do to stop us.

Stupid jobs and aging.

mike said...

Some of the best times of my life involved snowy drinky days. I remember going to play football in the snow with like 10 friends and being too drunk to play for more than a minute... or sledding in the middle of the night with a bottle of whatever... good times. I guess that is the only time I don't friggin HATE the winter.

Anonymous said...

What fun!! Enjoyed your post :)

Fancy Schmancy said...

I mourn your glory days for you, and I wasn't even there.

Here's to finding them with new people in the future!

Some Guy said...

Days like that are the best.

Anonymous said...

I love snowy drinky days.

#1

Alice said...

Aw I love Snowy Drinky days!!! In HIghschool they were the best

Subscribe